Pronouns are apparently not the easiest thing for a kid to comprehend. I mean, I understand them, but I'm not 2 years old.
He refers to himself as "you". We find it quite comical. It was mostly when he was asserting his independence... we'd start to do something for him, he'd pound his chest and say "you!" So, all the times we've said "you are such a good little man" or "you did a good job" or "Daddy's proud of you" or "Mommy loves you" has led him to believe that he is you.
Well, his misunderstanding of pronouns is expanding at a rapid and alarming rate. He now things "me" means "Mommy". (For example, when Robyn asks "Do you want to do it, or do you want me to do it?") And worse, he thinks "him" means "Captain Hook" from his current favorite book, Peter Pan. (For example, "We don't like him, he's a bad guy.")
This could get confusing. Everytime he hears someone say "you", he thinks they're talking about him. Everytime he hears someone say "me", he thinks they're talking about Robyn. And everytime he hears someone say "him", he thinks they're talking about Captain Hook. No wonder he seems to get overwhelmed in a group setting.
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So, after considering the content of two of your last three posts (now that I have stopped cracking up) I am a little concerned that we might all be having an identity crisis.
You might want to call Brett.
good lord, wait til you have to start explaining the rule for use of phrases like "he and i" vs. "him and me" and all that jazz.
maybe you can just stick with american sign language. anything goes there!
Aly refers to herself in the first person constantly. It's pretty funny.
You...me...him...he...Hell..I confused.! Good luck Tobes, you'll do just fine.
I know this is random... but I'm watching the Reds on FSN.. Volques is dirty....! I like 'em.
Dan W
Post a Comment