I cannot remember the last time I went to a Catholic mass that wasn't a wedding or a funeral. I think it was the Sunday after Father Harry came to Northern Road's CD release show back in 2001 when I was invited to address his congregation. (That was crazy. My band releases a CD, a priest shows up, then I get invited to tell his church about my band and what we're about. Wild stuff. That's why Father Harry is the best.)
I went to a Good Friday mass at Our Lady of Visitation one year a long time ago. It must have been elementary school or middle school, because I'm pretty sure I wasn't yet a believer. In hindsight, I felt the Holy Spirit for the first time in my life that day. There was something very powerful and mysterious about it all... and now, looking back with the knowledge I now know, it was the conviction of the Ghost that I was feeling.
Yesterday during the day, Robyn and I decided that I would take the day off work and we would attend the Good Friday service at St. Lawrence, whose front door is literally less than a stone's throw from ours. We've been wanting to get inside that building and check it out. And I've been wanting to get back to a Catholic Good Friday service for years. So the decision was made.
Last night, I was talking to my friend Randy. I mentioned that I was taking the day off work. He asked if I was going to go "pray the steps" in Mount Adams... I wasn't, but have wanted to in the past. So, we decided, why not, "the Catholics don't own the steps, do they?" (This just in: they do.) But heck, if I'm going to go back to my Catholic roots for a day, I might as well go all in, right?
Randy was meeting me and Levon here at the house at 4:45am. We'd go to Immaculata, pray, then get on with our days. Later, Robyn and I would walk over to St. Lawrence for mass. I'll expound upon the day sometime soon. It was indeed a good Friday.
Friday, March 21, 2008
Apparently, I'm Catholic Again (part 1)
Labels:
Christianity,
church,
marriage,
the city,
traditions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment