Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bambi Ruined My Son's Life

Toby used to be a terrible sleeper. I mean terrible. He didn't sleep through the night at any point during his first year. I don't remember when it got better, but one night he slept through. And then the next night... it was absolutely glorious. He still has stretches when he wakes up and needs some consoling, but he's really turned into a pretty decent sleeper.

Recently, he's been bad again. Waking up multiple times per night, out of control enough that it requires a parental (ok, fine... maternal) visit. Robyn figured out the problem during naptime a few days ago. Here's a portion of our Google Talk session...
2:26 PM robyn: so, i have a theory....
2:27 PM i am thinking that Toby was up all night because Bambi gave him bad dreams. It was very clear that he needed mommy. everytime I tried to leave he freaked
2:28 PM and the first thing he said to me this am was "mama, hand" in a little sad voice
me: no more bambi
robyn: I was literally in there for 3 hours
me: happy books at night2:30 PM robyn: when i was reading it last night he was definitely upset by "no more mommy deer"
2:31 PM me: what a horrible book!
2:32 PM robyn: and he is currently chanting "mama, hand"
2:34 PM me: i'm very sad right now
2:35 PM robyn: you are sad about bambi?
but you eat bambi
2:36 PM me: you are so heartless
That's some funny stuff right there. My son won't sleep because he read Bambi before bedtime and now fears that he's going to lose his mommy just like Bambi lost mommy. I'm sad because my son is a little emotional wreck. And my wife doesn't understand why I'm sad, because I "eat Bambi". Awesome.

To be fair, I did have some deer jerkey the other day. It was awesome.

No comments: