Thursday, March 06, 2008

Random Musician I Just Enjoyed (3-6-08)

How did I not know the incredible-ness of Sara Groves? I don't own any of her stuff, but I've now heard enough to know that I need to purchase her catalog as soon as possible.

Sometimes, I hear a good voice and a good song that's produced well, but the combination doesn't work. Take, for example, some of Bebo's more recent work- his voice is pretty solid*, his songs definitely don't suck, and he has all the resources in the world to get the best musicians and producers. But the sum of those things doesn't a good record make.

But Sara Groves! Her voice is awesome. Her songs are well-crafted. The production and instrumentation are solid and very appropriate for her voice and songs. In this case, awesome + awesome + awesome does indeed = awesome. Good thing, too, as my math-oriented brain gets all confused when a Bebo Equation is placed within earshot.

[*A little more on Bebo... he seems to have abandoned his rootsy Ten Thousand Days voice in favor of an unfortunately-too-perfect K-Love voice. I was disappointed when I heard him in-person before Christmas. Why does it seem that, too often, widespread commercial success means the downfall of good music from an artist?]

And, at the risk of my manhood being questioned, I shall state that the following female voices are good for my soul: Sara Groves, Kris Delmhorst, the girl in The Bittersweets, Leigh Nash (yep... I like Sixpense... consider my Man Card permanently revoked), Jill Phillips, Gillian Welch, Lucinda Williams, Nichole Nordeman... dang...

Let's see... list of things to do this month... (1) Rile up at least one diehard liberal... check. (2) Offend K-Love Christians... check. Man. I need a longer list.

5 comments:

brk said...

i heard sara groves back in college. i thought she had a good voice, but their was still something too ccm for me.

bebo is a whole other story. i liked his 'ten thousand day' period.

newest listen, griffin house. although all of his stuff seems to bleed into one song. he's still pretty good.

Rustypants said...

you're not alone, dude - i have a long list of chick rock i like / love. natalie merchant, eva cassidy, OTR, cowboy junkies, lily allen, neko case, kt tunstall, hope sandoval, alicia keys, dido, india.arie, katie reider, jill paquette, to name a few.

but i'm still dissin' pat benatar.

Justin Hall said...

if you aren't offending K-love christians at least once a day, that's a day wasted.

Jennifer said...

I have all of Sara Groves' stuff if you want to borrow some in the mean time.

Rustypants said...

i saw today that sixpence is back together.

thought you should know.