My heart goes out to those who fall into the "I guess I just don't have enough faith" trap. The televangelists love to play that card. They love to tell their listeners that their lives would be better, if not perfect, if they just had more faith.
I was once stuck in that pit of self-destruction. Oh, sweet and merciful savior, if only I had more faith... then I wouldn't be stuck in this sin... then I wouldn't be stuck in this cycle... then I...
Well, what if we look at our lives and our circumstances and not simply blame it all on a lack of faith? What if we instead see some truth in the fact that we live in a broken world where sickness happens? What if we stop assuming that everything that happens to us or our families is a direct consequence of something we've done?
When I was vomiting in December, was that vomiting a punishment for not having enough faith? No! I was just physically sick. Sure, there would be no sickness if humanity was perfect, but last I checked this was an imperfect world where sickness and pain are a reality.
So what about the family who just lost their daughter because they chose to simply pray for healing instead of taking her to the doctor? What do they think now? Maybe if we had more faith, we would have heard God tell us to take our daughter to the doctor? It's heartbreaking that people fall for such lies.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i've said for years that sometimes crap happens. it's easy to blame the devil or even God, but in the end i think they both get too much credit.
hmm, that doesn't sound quite right, but i'm guessing my point will get across.
And some folks out there who have no faith at all, no belief in God what so ever, no higher power.
Some of these folks have a religion of their own, called the GOVERNMENT. It will take care of all our problems, cradle to grave. They too forget (or choose not to believe) there IS real evil in the
world, pestilence and disease. It’s just the world we live in. Deal with it ya’ll..!
Post a Comment