Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Prosperity Gospel Facing Scrutiny

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. Here comes the tirade that you surely expected when clicking "send". A few excerpts...

Only the blessings didn't come. Fleenor ended up borrowing money from friends and payday loan companies just to buy groceries. At first she believed the explanation given on television: Her faith wasn't strong enough.
...and my personal favorite...

Some ministers hold up their own wealth as evidence that the teaching works. Atlanta-area pastor Creflo Dollar, who is fighting Grassley's inquiry, owns a Rolls Royce and multimillion-dollar homes and travels in a church-owned Learjet.

Yep, Creflo. That's what I was thinking. Your teaching must work, because you have bling.

Don't give any money to these wolves-in-sheep's-clothing. Locally, how about the
City Gospel Mission? Or, if you want to do the social justice thing on a global scale, may I suggest sponsoring a child through Compassion International?

[disclaimer]
*I would like it to be known, for the record, that Impact Church does not own a Learjet. When the youth leaders went to a conference a few months ago, they did not travel in anything that resembles style. Our senior pastor lives in quite an un-extravagant home and drives an inexpensive mid-1990s compact car. Our pastors do not have the power to do whatever they want. I drive a ghetto sled and live in a house that is only marginally nice because I renovated it. I could go on, but you get the point.
[/disclaimer]

3 comments:

Darren said...

I can't believe Creflo is so greedy! That is disappointing.

Even our big churches (Vineyard, Tri-County Assembly, Crossroads, etc.) in Cincy don't own jets. I thought positive prosperity meant to prosper in showing people a better life with Christ. Not money and material. This is a sad day. Don't get me wrong. There isn't a place in scripture that says having money is wrong. Rather, it says the love of money (to be rich) is evil. I think Dave Ramsey's perspective is positive and biblical.

Anonymous said...

is there any sense of irony that Creflo's last name is dollar?

Anonymous said...

And.... Dr. Dollars sanctuary, known as the World Dome, was built at a cost of nearly $18 million,.. That's a whole lotta Sanctuary!

Dan W