I had my company's external financial auditors in the office all week. It's a time of year I used to absolutely dread. There have been an Auditor Week or two that made me contemplate killing myself or, at the very least, feigning some sort of catastrophic illness. Auditors can make life hell. Thankfully, we've been blessed with some personnel consistency over the last couple years, and I've had the pleasure of working with an audit team I've grown to like very much.
Friday afternoon, one of the auditors stopped by my desk and asked if I wanted to go out to lunch. Business lunches don't feel like business lunches when it's essentially a group of friends. Plus, anything sounded better than another lunchmeat sandwich. So, off we headed to J Alexander's.
It was my first J experience, and my boss warned me that the portions are huge. I normally don't turn down the chance to consume a good steak, but the smallest steak they offered was a 12-ounce sirloin, and I didn't want that much food. Plus, steak isn't any good reheated, and I've been trying to control my portions at meals, so I chose a pasta dish instead, figuring I'd probably be taking some home with me.
The server brought out a serving bowl that easily had enough food for a family of four to share. It was ridiculous. I ate more than I should have, then requested a box. The box had the J Alexander logo with their slogan: Straightforward American Food. I can't imagine adding a soup or salad to it.
Yesterday's lunch was a generous portion of leftovers. As was today's lunch. Unreal. I can't imagine that anyone has ever eaten that much food in one sitting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i had this happen to me over a salad at the cheesecake factory. thinking i'd much prefer the dessert to the dinner, i ordered a salad that came out on a platter and was stacked high enough (seemingly) to block my view of my family on the other side of the table.
worst thing was: i had to get dessert to go - there was no way i could eat anything after this humongous thing!
J's has a marvelous spinach dip that you absolutely need to try.
years ago that place was a staple for us... but their menu was small enough that after i'd had everything i got tired of going back. i should revisit soon...
my dad's best friend got booted out of Pondarosa for eating too much at the grand buffet.
seriously.
the manager actually came to him and said, "Sir, I think you've had your share."
this actually happened.
i'll let you guess as to how much weight this guys pulling around.
Justin,...is that the same J's at the present day Western Hills Krogers? That place served up the biggiest double deckers ever, even too big for a guy 6'4" who has a large grill, to garner his choppers around. :) Ummm, food good!
Dan W
Post a Comment