I used to be really into politics. Now, I'm not. Partially, it's because everything I used to believe blew up in my face. I'm not really sure what I believe anymore. I wondered whether or not I should even vote in the last election. My wife didn't vote in the last election, as she decided it would be better to abstain due to a failure to be informed than accept my very uncertain opinions.
I used to think that anyone who voted against a school levy was a selfish, money-hungry jerk. Then, after doing some thinking of my own and some research, I voted against a school levy.
I used to think that Republicans were good Christian people and that Democrats weren't. In all honesty, I used to think it was impossible to be both a Democrat and a born-again Christian. Then, again, after doing some thinking of my own and some research, I started voting more Democratic in local elections.
I hate it when people just assume I agree with them politically simply because I (1) go to church with them, or (2) am in their family, or (3) am employed at the same place they are. But I hate it much much more when people send out stupid propaganda emails that are so clearly full of hate and lies.
Here's what I received the other day from someone who fits into one of the three categories above:
Who is Barack Obama?(Sidenote: Another thing I hate is when people forward emails that are full of misspellings, horrendous punctuation, poor sentence structure, ridiculously large text, and uneven spacing. If you want me to take your forward seriously, at least take a second and clean it up. I corrected some of the misspellings and did a general cleanup before posting. I didn't want blood to spew out of your eyes any more than the content prompted.)
Probable U.S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu , Hawaii , to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHEIST from Wichita, Kansas.
Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia. When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocate to Indonesia. Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta.
Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, 'He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school.'
Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that that he is not radical. Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education.
Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta. Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world.
Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States, Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background.
ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran. Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag. While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches.
Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy. The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States, one of their own!!!!
Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?
Within a few minutes, here was my reply-all (to the initial emailer's family, friends, churchmates, and co-workers, which may or may not have been a good idea):
Sheesh. I even got hatemonger responses from some of the distribution list. They're probably questioning my salvation... and that's ok...This email has been widely circulated, but is just not true. Snopes.com reports that this email is the current most forwarded "urban legend" spread around the internet right now. I'm not much into politics, and typically lean conservative when I have an opinion at all, but it's unfair and inaccurate to spread lies about the man.
Here are some links to snopes pages, the self-proclaimed "urban legend page".
I'm not suggesting you vote for him. I'm not trying to offend or stir the pot. I just don't think any of us would be doing any good by spreading lies.
10 comments:
Yeah, the whole political landscape is a blood sport,... one I don't have much a stomach for. The dead give-away on the Barack email was, "Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches." Total
political suicide, great big ole red flage. Didn’t happen. When it’s all said and done, one just needs to vote for the lesser of the 2 evils. How many times have we heard that! If you really care about your countries well being, and in a country as powerful as the US that affects the world stage, we need to pay attention, search for the truth, and vote.
Dan W
Since I am in your family I will not sicken you with my political thoughts but I will tell you that Barack does NOT have my vote! I think he is scary..............
Favoite cuzin Laura
i'm not voting for him. but regardless of that fact, spreading crap like this isn't right. that's all i'm saying.
(btw, i took one of those dumb internet quizzes... obama was the candidate my answers LEAST corresponded with.)
I just want to say this so I can start some shit on your site...Obama rocks.
That's just my view.
good... cause that's the direction i wanted this to go...
(sidenote: listening to obama, i get all excited about him too. plus, he's dreamy.)
Firstly, I just want to say way to go in terms of making the decision to do some thinking of your own: "Then, after doing some thinking of my own and some research, I voted against a school levy." Whether I would agree with you or not in regards to what you voted is inconsequential, I'm glad you've decided to step away from the masses who let the media,etc, do their thinking for them. Seriously, no American media channel, etc, is impartial, thats just not the way it works in this country.
About Obama, sorry I have to say my piece, I don't get why it matters what religion he subscribes to, to be completely honest. I understand and respect the fact that lies being spread about him is totally lame. I'm glad that you took the time to debunk them. However, what if he were in fact a Muslim? What if it weren't a lie, would that make a difference in regards to his character, or his morals, or his ability to lead a town, state, or country? On a side note, if religion is to factor in its interesting to me how the word radical put before the word Muslim makes a Muslim seem so much more "dangerous" or incapable of making "rational" and "impartial" decisions. I personally think that the word radical in front of the word Christian sounds just as creepy and dangerous in certain contexts, especially political ones. We all know that not even Christians that hold political power are always capable of making rational ,impartial, and safe decisions (George W. Bush?)
p.s. I'm totally voting for Obama,right on Andrea ;)
Favoite cuzin Laura:
could you elaborate on '...Barack does NOT have my vote! I think he is scary...'?
Scott:
could you elaborate on 'sidenote: listening to obama, i get all excited about him too. plus, he's dreamy.'?
brk,
i think out loud often. it's how i figure things out. you know this. i'm a chalkboarder. but i'm not willing to think out loud on this topic. maybe once i figure out a little more about what i think...
right now, i'm having trouble reconciling how politics fits into my faith. not vice versa. jesus is more important than any governmental figure. i used to think i knew best. now i don't. so... i'll work on it.
i don't want to talk politics on here. i didn't want a convention to break out in the comments. somebody else's blog can be the place for that. all i was trying to say is that i don't think it's ok for people to send emails such as the one i received, because they are false.
that being said, i guess it's safe to say that he's obviously the most attractive candidate. and he's a great speaker. that's all.
attractive meaning most desirable...or most likely...or most beautiful? :)
I got this e-mail and I almost puked. I couldn't believe the person who sent this to me could be so ignorant and vindictive. I agree with you on the whole if-you-are-a-christian-you-must-be-a-republican thing. It drives me nuts. Half of the people out there don't know anything about politics anyway and would Jesus even give a rip? I don't think so. You are rad scott!
Post a Comment