Last night, all I wanted to do was go to bed with my wife. (I don't mean it like that. And I also don't not mean it like that. Got it? Good.) It had been a week since we had any sort of physical contact with each other. Every night, one of us was sleeping on the bathroom floor or in a chair or on a couch somewhere without the other. Talk about freaking loneliness... I just wanted to sleep in the same bed for a change. Enough with the contagiousness and various germs.
So, we decided to head upstairs. Right before going up, however, I discovered that our water pipes were frozen. This just about pushed me over the edge, as the week has been hard enough. I don't have any extra energy, mental/physical/spiritual/emotional, to waste on anything, let alone freaking pipes. I decided there was no way I could get them thawed, as the frozen part was completely inaccessible due to that darn steel+concrete ceiling in the basement that was so good at hiding termite damage. So screw it. Pray that the pipes don't bust overnight. I'm going upstairs.
Under the warm covers, being next to my wife was a dream come true. Finally, after what felt like months, we were together again, cuddling at bedtime. And then came that darn fluttering sound that was all too familiar. There was another pesky bat flying around our bedroom. (Talk about killing the mood.) It took awhile, but ultimately, we cornered it in the bathroom. I swatted it with my gym shorts and captured it in a bath towel and threw it out the window. (I could go on and on about this part, but I'll spare you the glorious details.)
During this 30-45 minute period of rodent-chasing, we discovered just how useless our cats are. You'd think the cats would be bouncing off the walls trying to catch the flying rodent, right? You'd be wrong. Sesame hid under Robyn's dresser as it flew around the bedroom. Belle couldn't get out of the bathroom fast enough when she realized she was trapped in the room with it. What pathetic animals. They sharpen their claws 4 times per hour. They sit in the windows and dream of chasing the squirrels in the yard and catching birds. Then they get an opportunity of a lifetime and puss out.
After releasing Dracula to his natural habitat, there was much laughter and commiseration, followed by a happy return to that ever-elusive bed. As angry as I was about the frozen pipes... as annoyed as I was about the flying critter, I must confess that it was a darn good night that won't soon be forgotten. So life is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ever so glad life is GOOD, once again.. ;) Tennis rackets work really well on flying bats. Just
saying. My mom's old house (which you are familiar with) had frozen pipes during the blizzard of
‘77,’78, which ever, back during global freezing (so said News WeeK)...talk about when hell
freezes over, from a mailman’s view, it was pure hell. I digress.. Mom had some guy from water works come out, hook up electric clamps to said pipe and turned on the juice. It worked. Just sayin.
Dan W
Post a Comment