Well, this year, I'm not just hopeful. I'm expecting good things. And I don't think it's just blind optimism, as I have reasons to expect good things this year:
(Disclaimer- I will use the word 'we' a lot even though I'm not an official member of the organization, and I will not apologize for it. So there.)
Hitters-
We have the top prospect (Bruce) in all of baseball, and he's major-league ready. If he fails, adequate backups (Freel, Hopper) are in place. We have other young guys (Encarnacion, Votto) who I expect to have very solid offensive seasons, and solid reserves (Keppinger, Hatteberg) to back them up if they don't. We have 3 middle-of-the-order bats (Griffey, Dunn, Phillips) who should produce a metric crapload of runs. The 2 most important defensive positions are filled with solid defenders (Ross, Gonzalez) who are adequate with the bat.
Pitchers-
With a legitimate ace (Harang) and a solid #2 starter (Arroyo), there is at least some predicatability at the top of the rotation. We have a bunch of major-league-ready-or-at-least-very-close prospects (Bailey, Volquez, Cueto) who have very high ceilings, and a few others (Belisle, Affeldt) who have, in the past, been effective big-leaguers. We have a shut-the-door closer (Cordero) and some very solid set-up guys (Burton, Weathers).
Non-Players-
Beyond the on-field talent, we have a manager (Baker) who has taken teams to the playoffs, a GM (Krivsky) who isn't afraid to make a move, an owner (Castellini) who desperately wants a winner, and a new advisor (Jocketty) who brings a fresh perspective to things. These non-players, I believe, will not rest until this team is where they desire it should be.
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect Encarnacion, Votto, and Bruce to have solid seasons. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a couple of the talented young pitchers to experience success this year. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the veterans to perform as well as they have in the past. And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect ownership and the front office to make changes if any of the aforementioned expecations don't materialize.
I'm predicting a good year in 2008. And even if 2008 doesn't produce an NL Central championship, this core of players and management looks to be a team to be reckoned with in 2009 and beyond. Now, if you don't mind... here, take a sip of this tasty Kool-Aid... really... it's great... you'll like it...
2 comments:
You need the Kool Aid Man as you official Room 113 mascot. He's the real Mr. Red.
I also expect good things for this team. Not just because its winter, but because they've actually turned over the roster a bit more this off-season than they have in years past, especially more than last year when they trotted out the same lineup as the crappy '06 team.
I expect better things because they've put together a better team overall from top to bottom.
And I expect better things because I'm tired of people in this town accepting mediocrity.
Play better.
Show promise.
Grow.
Ahh, you ole Kool Aid drinker you! That was great!
It's all about Bob Castillini. The man is on a mission. Marge wanted a winner, (and got a ring) put out some bucks, did it for the fans, (and blew up the farm and scouting system). Bob's the real deal and actually knows a little something about baseball. He's putting the right people in place and building it the right way. I'm telling ya, 2009, look the hell out!! You better believe I'm a Kool Aid drinker.... but I truly feel it baby....the Reds are back.
Dan W
Post a Comment