Friday, January 25, 2008

Random Song I Can't Get Out of My Head (1-25-08)

"Love can be a messy thing
Make you want to kick and scream
Love will put you to the test
You can’t swim and not get wet

So dive on in, take the plunge
If it storms, ride out the flood
Love is more than diamond rings
Love can be a messy thing

Love stands on its own two feet
Stumbles up and down your street
Scrapes and bruises on its knees
Love can be a messy thing

So if you feel that it’s all too much
Have a little trust that the best is yet to come
Just don’t let your heart get so set
That love will never be a mess

Love’s not some paint by number scheme
It’s more like fingerpaints, I think
It slips and slides right off the page
Like wet mascara down her face

Love is not all valentines
Leaves us black and blue sometimes
But love’s not mean, it’s just the truth
It only wants what’s best for you"

- Johnsmith, "Messy Thing" from Break Me Open
My marriage is solid. But even if it wasn't, I can't imagine bailing on the marriage. I've wondered what my wife would have to do to make me leave (not that I'm asking for a test in this). I honestly think the only thing that would be surefire would involve her with a knife and me sleeping. I can think of other things that would definitely suck, but I so strongly believe in reconciliation and restoration...

...especially when there are kids involved. I don't know how I could teach my son about God the Father's unending grace and the cleansing forgiveness that comes from Christ's blood and the restoration through the Holy Spirit if I gave up on my marriage. How can I convey to my children that there is hope in Christ if I've named the situation hopeless?

I don't see God receiving much glory in divorce. Who wins when a marriage ends? Do the kids win? Certainly not. Do the parents win? I don't see how. I'm not in the situation, nor do I hope never to be, but I don't see a better solution than making it work.

Sound impossible? Nobody ever promised it would be easy. Love is more than diamonds rings. Love can be a messy thing. And I know a God who is in the business of reconciliation and restoration.

No comments: