Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sunday Night TV

I arrived home about an hour and a half ago to no signs of life here at the homestead. Lights off, house quiet... I'm assuming Robyn and The Tobe are asleep, and I'll continue to assume, as the steps are quite creaky and the last thing I want to do is wake either of them. They are both in the early stages of having colds, so they need rest. Heck, Robyn needs rest all the time.

Since I have a quiet night "alone", I have the TV and the laptop on. Here are some observations from today:
  • The Coors Light fake news conferences with Bill Walsh and Dick Vermeil are lame. I give Coors' advertising team credit for thinking outside the box and trying something new, but I just don't think they are funny.
  • The Coors Light fake news conferences are better than Marvin Lewis' real news conferences.
  • The GM floating car commercial makes me want to find out who "The Verve" is, and possibly buy their music.
  • At some point in time, I'm going to get sick of the Peyton Manning commercials, but that time has not yet come.
  • Three Bengals games, three wins, all under Carson, 1 at Arrowhead, 1 at Pittsburgh. Freaking Who Dey. Why again do we say 'who dey'? Do people from other markets laugh at us for saying 'who dey'?
  • During halftime of the Bengals' game, I picked Toby up off the floor and started walking around Frank & Heather's neighborhood. He fell asleep in my arms almost instantly, but woke up to sniffle every couple minutes. Poor kid has a cold, can't breathe effectively, and he's exhausted from an even bigger sleep deficit than he's used to. Breaks Daddy's heart...
  • Toby isn't 9 months old yet, but his THREE YEAR OLD sized #9 Palmer jersey fits him all-too-well. We go to the doctor Friday. Anyone wanna bet how big he is? I'm thinking 25 pounds...
  • Beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh is a good thing.
  • Even though Chris Henry belongs in jail, since he's playing pro football, I'm glad he's on my team and not an opponent's. He's gotta be the best #3 receiver in the NFL.
  • The Bengals will beat the Pats next Sunday, making the Bengals 4-0. All who "hoped" Anthony Wright would lead Cincinnati to a 1-3 record going into the bye week should be ashamed of themselves. (Loosely translated = I should be ashamed of myself)
  • I can't believe more NFL players don't get hurt.
  • Cheerleaders need to wear more clothes. Seriously, more and more skin is visible every year. At this point I expect fully nude cheerleaders by the year 2010. On a related note, is it ok that my wife and I refer to cheerleaders as "ho-bags"?
  • Total Recall is on channel 64. Wasn't that movie considered "good" at one point in time? What a ridiculous movie. Ah-nold's political opponents should have simply run TV commercials of Ah-nold's old movies. If people were reminded of how bad they were, how could anyone vote for him with a clear conscience?
  • Programs on TBN don't make me want to be a Christian.
  • Mystery! is on PBS. Why do I find crime drama characters with thick British accents to be so much better than crime drama characters without thick British accents?
If you have comments or answers for any of the above items, I'd be thrilled if you left them. I am, as you know, a comment whore.

Update: Robyn and The Tobe are most assuredly asleep. I know this because I spent 25 minutes somewhere in the middle of all those bulleted observations putting the kid back to sleep. He must get night terrors or something. Otherwise, his sleep habits are completely inexplicable.

Comment on Update: As crazy as it may sound, I'm going to miss the day when I no longer have to pick him up and rock him back to sleep. There is something deeply spiritual and peaceful about a son resting in his Daddy's arms. I want Toby to sleep better, but I also want those 25 minutes to happen again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

check this for the who dey question

i love (and hate) wikipedia.

Kelly said...

1-- I don't know why that floating car commercial says "The Verve" -- it's been bugging me -- because the song is "Get What You Need" by Jet on their album "Get Born." I own the album, and it TOTALLY ROCKS! Steve didn't believe me when I got it over a year or two ago, but now he is a convert.

2--When I moved to Cincinnati over 8 years ago, the phrase "Who Dey" was very odd to me.

3--I understand what you mean about rocking a baby to sleep. When Kaelyn falls asleep, I want to put her down and go do all the things I wasn't able to do that day when she was awake. And yet the other part of me just wants to sit and hold her a while since I know she will never be this small again.