Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Marty in Stereo? Pretty Please?!

I'm travelling on business again. I left tonight after dinner, and I arrived up here in luxurious Livonia (Detroit), MI about an hour ago. I had the trusty radio to keep me company, and there was a full docket of sports on the airwaves. Unfortunately, the company van's a.m. radio reception was horrible. I pretty much lost WLW just north of Dayton. (Two years ago, I listened to the end of a Reds game on WLW while in Sarasota, FLORIDA, and tonight I couldn't get it an hour from my house? I'm guessing the weather had something to do with it, but still...)

I picked up the game on 96.7 f.m. out of Findlay for much of my drive, and I have a plea for Mr. Castellini and his employees: GET A LOCAL F.M. STATION TO CARRY REDS ON RADIO. It is amazing how much better baseball sounds in stereo. The voices, the crack of the bat, the crowd noise... I know Castellini is all about tradition, and thus 700 will likely remain the only local option, but the f.m. broadcast of the ballgame was ear candy.

Also, 1530's signal is crazy strong. I listened to most of the second half of the Steelers' shutout loss on WCKY. Crystal clear, even as I was sitting in the hotel parking lot here outside of Detroit. The Sports Animal sure has come along way... just a few months ago, I couldn't get 1360 at night in College Hill or Bridgetown. Now, I clearly hear the same broadcast from a Cincinnati tower while in Michigan.

2 comments:

B-Call said...

we can't get 1530 for JACK here in Butler County. yet another reason for my deep hatred of the BC. even 980 comes in like crap.
but they do need to get the Reds on FM. agreed, stereo makes everything better. everything. even eating.
but for now, I'd rather have uncle Bobby put together a better baseball team.

Anonymous said...

Do you not remember Grenier's Physics classes either? AM wavelengths are affected by the weather, and are able to travel across the world if there was no interefeence from the clouds, staticl, etc. FM broadcasts as a direct line, but (I have no clue as to how it works really any more) but Am is about to bounce off the atmosphere, and continue on, hence picking it up in FL and MI. I cannot believe I have retained this knowledge.