Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Domestic Violence

And I thought I'd get to cut my grass tonight. What was I thinking? Apparently, my little piece of property here in College Hill has become the crime capital of the world. With the recent rape still fresh in my mind, tonight the crime du jour is wife beating.

Robyn, my sister, and I were enjoying some tasty salads at our dining room table (Tobe was enjoying Cheerios) when we heard some commotion outside. It sounded like friendly horseplay, but we've been a little on edge ever since the rape last week, so I grabbed my phone and walked out onto the porch just to make sure all was in fact friendly. It wasn't friendly at all.

The young woman is 20, and her roommate/boyfriend is similar in age. They were walking down the sidewalk, pushing each other, yelling. It really looked harmless until the sound escalated and they started rolling around on the ground, obviously in a fracas.

I started walking toward the situation, keeping a "safe" distance, and saw punches being thrown, although arms were flailing so quickly that I couldn't tell who was hitting who. The boyfriend got up, throwing his arms up with an air of cockiness about him as he walked away, abandoning his injured girlfriend. The warrior had defeated the mighty girlfriend... unbelievable...

She got up and tried to chase after him as he pimpwalked away, trashtalking as he went. As she caught up to him, he pulled a .22 on her. She stopped her pursuit, which was a good idea, as he would've only bloodied her up worse than she was. She gave up and walked back into the middle of the street, hysterical.

In the middle of the street is where I met her. She had an already bruised right eye, two extremely fat lips, bloody teeth, and somehow ended up with a bloody right ear. She didn't look so good. She thought her front teeth were on the ground, but I told her they were still present. Just like last week, I felt very uncomfortable being early on the scene to try to help. When a woman is victimized by a man, the last thing she needs is another man to come to her rescue. But, I figured I was a better option than her continuing to wander around aimlessly weeping in the middle of the street.

I was on the phone with the police dispatch as the boyfriend was making his dramatic escape, and their response time was pretty good. Unfortunately, the officer was a waste of a uniform. I really wanted to trade this officer in for a new one. First, she (the officer) drove right past the victim and me as we were standing in the middle of the freaking street as if there is nothing wrong with a hysterical young woman hanging out in the middle of the street. Thankfully Robyn was in our front yard to point the inept officer back to the scene. The officer seemed to not care one iota that this girl was bleeding and scared. Strictly business.

"Are you going to press charges? Cause if you aren't going to press charges, then I have other things I need to be doing" or something along those lines. It was like she was trying to talk the victim into letting her get back to her regularly scheduled patrol, as if there was something more important going on than a guy beating the shit out of a girl then pulling a gun on her for good measure.

She refused to press charges. She lives with him, she doesn't have a job, she doesn't have any family to lean on in a time like this. She can't press charges because she has "no place else to go." Before heading for the hospital, this poor young woman, obviously in pain, told me that she was afraid he'd come after her if she pressed charges.

Maybe the policewoman bailed on the situation, but I couldn't. How could anyone walk away from this poor girl in a time like this? I got her a towel and an icepack, and I begged her to not go home. If Dude will beat her up on the sidewalk, what will he do behind closed doors? Please, don't go home, I kept telling her.

Her friend arrived on scene and was getting ready to take her to the hospital. "Please, when you leave the hospital, don't go home. " She said, again, that she had no place to go. I offered her my phone number, but her mind was elsewhere. I pointed to my house: "See the purple house? That's where my wife and I live. We'll help you. Please don't go home. He'll do it again. We'll find a place for you. Please, let us help you." She looked at me and nodded. I continued, "Don't be shy. We'll help you. Please come see us."

I walked back to my house honestly thinking that she might come. I hope she stops by. We'll give her everything we can. Mostly, I just hope she doesn't go home. We can find a better home for her. I don't know where, but we'll find something safe if she'll let us.

I'm growing more and more convinced that we are where we need to be, living in the city. I don't know why, but I'm convinced nonetheless.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I even read your last few lines, I was thinking that you two were meant to be there. I don't know if I or my husband would be as selfless and brave as you to get involved even before the police are there- especially when the man had already pulled a gun on his girlfriend. Bravo for you for seeing your recent experiences as a sign to stay where you are rather than a reason to move away.

Justin Hall said...

indeed. you're a force for good in a neighborhood that needs it.

now just train the tobe up to be a cage fighter and let him loose on your street. i bet crime drops like 75% in the first week.

Anonymous said...

ok, you completely frighten me with your stories! I know that you believe that you are there for a reason but go easy on the "copper" - many times they know that they will not press charges and that it is basically going to be a waste of time and the time it takes them to fill out their paperwork. However, before you go inviting some "stranger" into your house please realize that you can't fix the problems of the world. I know where your heart is and I COMPLETELY respect you for that but the only one that you need to look out for is you and your family. Remember, the guy with gun? Rest assured that he will also remember where you live and he doesn't give a DAMN who you are! You are messing with dangerous people - YOU REALLY NEED TO BE CAREFUL!

Anonymous said...

"you can't fix the problems of the world"... That pisses me off! Ok, yes, not "the world" but does that mean I can't try? It is "the world" at THAT moment, to that terrified, girl, alone in the street. It's not "the world", but it is HER world, and if you could change one person's world, wouldn't it be worth it? Maybe not, maybe you all don't think so.

I have been trying for months to figure out the difference between a "city person" and a "suburbanite"... maybe that is the answer, maybe people decide "I can't fix the worlds problems" so they run. They leave the city, they go to the "safe" suburbs and they don't worry about the problems that they don't see.

In the meantime, the guy down the street, with the pretty lawn, is beating his wife. And the clean cut church elder is molesting the 3 year old in the church nursery. But as long as everyone keeps their new, sound proof windows closed no one will ever have to admit that "the worlds problems" don't live in the city, they live in people...and if we keep running to save ourselves, there will be nothing left worth saving.

scott d said...

(My wife tends to get a little fiery every now and then. It's a good thing. I'm madly in love with her.)

Anonymous said...

ROBYN:

I APPLAUD YOU AND SCOTT FOR DOING WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT HOWEVER THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT MY OPINION IS NECESSARILY WRONG. IT'S JUST HOW I FEEL. I'M SORRY THAT YOU GOT PISSED OFF - I JUST CARE ABOUT YOU AND DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYTHING HAPPEN TO EITHER OF YOU. TALK TO THE LADY WHO'S HUSBAND WAS JUST KILLED ON THE FRONT STEPS OF HER HOME IN THE CITY - I BET SHE WOULD TELL YOU THE SAME THING!!!