- I wondered how us 3 guys in a van would get along. It was great. Quality travel partners. Good discussions while on the road... It was cool to have some more personal conversations with folks that I've only ever talked business with in the past. One can only discuss the weather and the highway system for so many hours before something deeper must be talked about.
- I've heard that good professional etiquette includes not talking about religion, but these guys have heard it through the grapevine that I'm a "minister", and they were very willing to talk. By no means were they trying to impress me... heck, I'm a 25 year old punk, and they've both been with the company longer than I've been alive.
- How come my non-smoking room smelled like Marge Schott lived there?
- How come $100+ for a night doesn't get me a comfortable bed or halfway decent pillow?
- While I'm on the hotel soapbox, isn't $9.95 per day for high-speed internet on my TV similar to highway robbery? What about $6.95 for an hour of video games? How about $6.95 to play the music video jukebox for up to an hour? Unbelievable.
- We ate well. I had surf and turf for the first time in my life. Awesome filet, and the crab cakes were quite tasty. And I was the cheapest of the 4 folks at our table.
- As much as I enjoyed being on the road for a couple of days, there's no way I'd want that life on a regular basis. I was very ready to see my wife and my The Tobe.
Monday, September 04, 2006
Business Trip
My first business trip was quite enjoyable. A few post-travel thoughts...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hotels are funny things.
lise and i travel frequently enough that we're well-versed on hotels and their offerings - our discovery?
hotels that cost more don't equal better service or accomodations.
we're insanely loyal to Super 8 motels because of this. typically around $45 a night, we get a HUGE king-sized bed, free high speed internet connection in the room, breakfast in the morning (donuts, bagels, cream cheese, OJ, milk, coffee, cereal and just in the last couple months, they've all gotten WAFFLE MAKERS!! WOOOO!), and generally a nice group of folks running the place. several of them have had WiFi, too (great for my pocket PC).
not all super 8's are the same, however, and you have to know the trick to finding a good one. i'm too tired to share it here, but i can be bought at a better hour.
this past weekend on our way to the wedding of one of our girls, we spent the evening at a $100/night Holiday Inn - no high speed, no WiFi, no breakfast.
Post a Comment