Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Keep Sleeping, Sweet Baby... Uck. Ewww...

Robyn needed to go to sleep. She asked me to get the little one to sleep, by whatever means possible. I bounced her until that little creak in the floor drove me insane. Then I paced the bedroom with her until I had essentially lulled myself to sleep-

left, right, left, right, left, pivot to the riiiiiight... left, right, left, right, left, pivot to the left...

...over and over and over again. Finally, as I was pinching myself to stay awake on my feet, her eyes shut. Her breathing rate increased. Little baby throaty-breathy noises filled the room. And then... the breathing steadied, and the noises stopped.

Keep pacing... keep pacing... you're almost there... she's almost done...

Asleep. Took 30 minutes, but I won. Hallelujah and such. I set her down, dead to the world. Robyn stirred just enough to know that I succeeded. I laid down next to my wife, kissed her on the shoulder, her hand reached over to touch mine... and... right on cue...

Uh oh. I got her all relaxed, all right. Poopy poopy poopy poopy poopy poopy poopy poopy poopy. Exclamation point.

Thankfully, Robyn did the diaper. Then I picked up the beloved one and started over, right where I left off. It felt very similar to these early (and, unfortunately, not-so-early) days with The Tobe.

left, right, left, right, left, pivot to the riiiiiight... left, right, left, right, left, pivot to the left...

No comments: