Get that first round pick signed? Check.
Sign a couple of those late round flyers? Check. (Amazing. I'm shocked.)
Sign a few of the elite Dominican talents? Check.
I know this sounds crazy, but I think the first base job is Alonso's to lose next spring. I think a year split between AA and AAA would be a good idea, but everyone knows 2009 is a rebuilding year. John Olerud was the "best college bat"... he went to play fall and winter ball with a wooden bat, and never played a single game in the minors. Is it likely? No, but still, I say Alonso plays first and Votto plays left for the majority of 2009..
It's scary to think that a "small-market" team has spent probably 8-figures (that means at least $10,000,000) since April to sign unproven players. Juan Duran (age 16), Yonder Alonso (college junior), Yorman Rodriguez (age 16), Matt Fairel (high school senior), and Juan Carlos Suburan (high school senior). It's scary to think of throwing so much cash at players who've never swung a wooden bat or faced a hitter over the age of 18.
But this isn't reckless spending. Remember how the Florida Marlins won it all back in 2003 (before fire sale part deux)? Remember how they had some dominant young pitching and a teenage Dominican hitter who carried the team all the way past those blasted Yankees?
Look ahead a few years. Might this team have a starting rotation that includes Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, a crafty veteran Harang, and some dynamic young hitters that you haven't heard of yet because they're only 16-years-old today? You may not have heard of them, but they very well could be tomorrow's superstars. And they are already Reds.
Other than Alonso, these young guys won't be helping until 2011 at the earliest (probably at least 2013 for the 16-year-old kids). But still. Talent wins. And the home team signed a whole crapload of it in the last couple days. Uncle Bob opened the wallet. Now he just needs some patience. Unfortunately, he can't buy that.
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Stated like a salty veteran. .Dad..,you every think about vying for P Doc’s job? Well written. I think you are
saying (with out going out on a limb) you like the clubs future...??? Could this be Jock just doing
his thing...shaping this team in his liking, his own way? I like it..!! Say La Vie Leather Pants..!!
Stay on courst Mr.C..Pleeeeeaseeee!!
Post a Comment