I still haven't been given official word that I'll be spending a week in the Netherlands this October, but my boss thinks it's likely. And while I dread being away from my family for a week, I must confess that a once-per-year international trip is something that I could get used to.
The main reason I would enjoy going back? My international co-workers. Specifically, the two head honchos over there are downright awesome to be with. I've been told it's more of their culture, but it's shocking to see how much they desire to take care of their visitors.
They (Dutch) stayed with us (Americans) for the majority of our trip, making sure we always had everything we needed, ensuring our travels and safety at all times. They took us to their finest restaurants, served us their finest wines, and entertained us every evening. Their hospitality was impressive.
At most meals, there were 8 of us- the 7 most important people in my division were there for important global meetings, and then there was me. (I was there to assist with an audit. I absolutely didn't belong with this crew of successful businessmen.) And even though I did not fit in (status-wise), they treated me as if I did. It was quite the ego-boost.
A few months later, the two Dutch head honchos were in Cincinnati for meetings, and they made it a point to stop by my office and chat with me. They remembered almost all of the details of my time with them, and they said they hoped that I could bring my wife with me on my next visit, as they love to show off their country. Very kind, indeed. (Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that Robyn could join me this fall, with an infant and such.)
Fast forward to last week. A package was delivered to my office. The shipping label showed that it was from the Netherlands. Curiously, I opened it to find a beautiful teddy bear with a Hallmark card (in Dutch) for my newborn daughter.
I hope I get to go this October. And I hope my wife can come with me in October 2009.
No comments:
Post a Comment