Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I Am a Sheep

All ye, like sheep, have gone astray...

No. Wait. That is true, but, actually, I don't want to talk about anything faith-based right now. There are more pressing things, like Reds baseball. Maybe we can discuss the missions of Paul or works of Tozer later, but I'd currently like to talk baseball.

I'm disappointed that Dunn is gone. Personally, I think that he's the kind of player you sign for the next 5 years, keep him in left field, and Sharpie him in the 2 or 6 spot in the lineup through 2012. He is what he is... an on-base machine, an EVERYDAY player in an age when that is a rarity, and a streaky hitter that will literally carry a team for weeks at a time when he's locked in. He absolutely has deficiencies, but his strengths outweigh the deficiencies, in my opinion.

So he's gone. OK. I'm unimpressed with Dallas Buck... I REALLY hope he comes on strong in the next couple years as he gets his strength back from Tommy John... heck, maybe I should be excited about him, considering how many pitchers have succeeded after the surgery. But I'm not. Not yet.

Still, there is reason to be hopeful, as this deal isn't officially final yet. Trent Rosecrans* is reporting that the other 2 players in the deal have already been agreed upon, but they can't be officially named yet. Maybe this is because the other 2 are on Arizona's 40-man rosters and therefore must clear waivers?

Could that mean Micah Owings (power-hitting pitcher) or Max Scherzer (I'm dreaming a little) or Josh Whitesell (big bat) or Wilkin Castillo (athletic catcher, maybe a poor man's Russ Martin) might be in the deal?!?! Cause that would make me feel a whole lot better about dealing Dunn. Any of those guys would be better than the two compensatory picks next June.

Enough Dunn. I shall shut up. For now. Moving on...

They better sign Yonder Alonso. Any club that is rebuilding (and you better believe saying sayonara to Dunn and Griff within 10 days of each other is rebuilding) can't afford to miss on signing the 7th overall pick. Pay the man to sign his name. It would be an embarassment if this doesn't happen. They have until Friday to get this done, or he returns to The U for his senior season.

I've never been a Chris Dickerson fan. I've never been a Drew Stubbs fan. But both of these guys have been impressive over the last few months, and both have earned their promotions (Dickerson to the big club, Stubbs to Louisville). Who knows? Maybe the youth movement will work? Maybe these guys have a future wearing Red?

I am a sheep. A stupid sheep. A stupid sheep who desperately loves his favorite baseball team. I'm trying to talk myself into this. Usually, I give myself one of these peptalks in the winter/spring...

"Well, if a couple of these pitchers have breakout seasons, and if..."

Now, I'm having it in freaking August. I'm tired of waiting until next year. Remember Leatherpants' 3-year plan to compete in 2003? I do. I remember being engaged to Robyn and excited for the new ballpark and a competitive club with all these promising young players.

Since then, we've had our 5-year anniversary multiple children. And my favorite team still sucks.

But I will be patient. I will be patient. I will be patient. I'm gonna be ok.

(*Trent is solid. He was the best beat writer covering the Reds last year... MUCH better, in my opinion, than Fay, Sheldon, or Hal McCoy's rotting corpse. I mean it as a compliment, even though it shouldn't be that hard to be better than the other 3. Why do I say "was the best"? Because Clear Channel won't pay for him to travel with the team. Bummer for readers like me.)

No comments: