Photo Update (Roof Maintenance)
I'm not a big fan of heights, but I'm a whole lot more ok with them than I used to be. Good thing, too, because I now own a house that is very tall, and much gutter work needed to be done, and Levon wouldn't let me hire anyone to do it. He said he'd do it. And then he said that I would help him. I was mentally prepared to shell out a thousand bucks to get the gutters coated, cause I sure as hell wasn't going to go up there.
Replacing box gutters would be ridiculously expensive. The existing ones are in very good shape, but they were exposed to the elements and in dire need of maintenance. Rust is bad. For whatever reason, the previous owner decided to paint them. Paint doesn't last.
(Note: this is a recurring theme... "for whatever reason, the previous owner ________." Just fill in the blank. "Covered the entire house with hideous yellow carpet", "Failed to maintain the termite contract", "put up the cheapest ceiling fans ever made", the list goes on and on.)
This ridiculously thick tar-like roofing goo does last. It's also pretty intense to work with.
10 hours on the roof over the course of a few days wound up being a pretty nice time. I'm just glad Levon agreed to do the way-up-high stuff. Like I said, no way in hell am I getting up there. And now it's done, and won't have to be addressed for 10+ years, hopefully.
1 comment:
Hey Scott,
Congrats on the new little one! Time to get back to work on the house, huh? Coming from someone who just replaced all of their box gutters (ouch)...putting that tar stuff on your gutters is the worst thing you can do in the long run in my opinion. Tern metal (tin) gutters and roofs are designed to be painted. Tar coating them renders then unrepairable in the future because you can't remove it to do any resoldering. Also, it has a tendency to shrink in the heat and sun, possibly pulling your gutters out of the soffits (as happened on our house). If they had just repainted our gutters every few years, we wouldn't have had to replace them last year. The home tour is still open if you're ever near Wells St.
Take Care,
Brian
Post a Comment