Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Winter Weather Life Disruptions?

First of all, many thanks to the people who declared a "snow emergency" this morning. Was it Si Lies? Was it Mark Mallory? Regardless, I'm glad they told people to stay off the roads, because many folks listened.

Because they listened, I had I-71N to myself and my commute to work took less time than it does on a typical warm & dry morning. Really. Traffic usually makes my commute last 20 minutes. This morning? 14 minutes. What I thought would be a treacherous descent down Warsaw was no problem at all. Empty roads are a dream, even when frozen or covered with slushiness.
----------------------------

Robyn is making the colossal version of the
luau wedding cake for this weekend's post-nuptial festivities, so she spent last night at Kroger, purchasing supplies. She came home with what I'd estimate to be 20 cake mixes, 10 pounds of confectionary sugar, 10 pounds of butter, a couple gallons of cooking oil, and 8 dozen eggs. She probably looked much like all the lunatics at the store, stocking up for the white death.

[White Death Rant]
Seriously, how silly is it that people go buy an extra 3 gallons of milk before a couple inches of snow fall? When was the last time you were legitimately shut in and began to digest your own innards? Who doesn't already have a few canned goods on the shelf that would adequately sustain life just in case 5 feet of snow fall?

My parents might be a special case, but I'd guess their basement has enough food for a family of 4 to survive for at least a year. And while my household doesn't have that many non-perishables sitting around, it still makes absolutely no sense for us to make an unscheduled visit to our local grocer.
[/White Death Rant]
----------------------------

There was no "3-to-6-inches" of snow as I left my house this morning. But, there have been enough transportation issues the university to cancel tonight's classes. So, the most insane week of my life just got a little simpler. Class now starts next Tuesday instead. (Sure glad I stayed up until 2am in my final run-through of the material!)

No comments: