Sunday, February 10, 2008

Definition of "Something Big"

In my last post, I mentioned that I've long thought that God was going to do something big through me. Please allow this clarification, as my definition of "big" has drastically changed from the time of initial thought (age 14) until now:

I used to think "big" meant preaching or playing music to hundreds and thousands of people. Now I think "big" means serving my family and sharing the gospel with my kids.

I used to think "big" meant possibly being a foreign missionary or a martyr (or both). Now, I think "big" means loving the people of my community and being a voice of hope into the lives of the hopeless.

I used to think "big" meant having an occupation in full-time ministry, and fame within the Christian community. Now, I think "big" means doing the little things that go unnoticed, devoting my life to things that matter to God but don't get the attention of the masses.
----------------------------------

Sidenote: Sadly, "Christian fame" seems to be reserved for those who write books and are on the radio and make corporations lots of money. Fame within the Christian subculture doesn't seem to be all that much different from fame in Hollywood. Image matters. Buzz matters. Revenue-earning potential matters. Substance? Eh, not always a pre-requisite.

If that's what fame is, then count me out. I don't want it. I just want an authentic faith. I just want to learn how to love God and love people and do what is asked of me by the One who owns me. And I doubt any of that will result in any fame or prosperity in this life. In fact, it's the kind of thing that just might leave me broke or dead. Or maybe both. And that would be ok.

1 comment:

Justin Hall said...

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." 1 thes 4:11-12

frickin true, man, Pauline wisdom that really gives me solace; i'm not sure how much the cause of Christ needs celebrities... it's much better suited to the underground...