Friday, February 08, 2008

Accounting

Work has been insane. I could post lots of details about the specific frustrations I currently have (such as my thoughts about corporate allocations and an uncontactable IT department) but nothing good could come of it (and/or no one would understand or care). I'll just say this: in the last 5 workdays, I've accomplished less than I usually accomplish in 1 morning, and it ain't cause I'm slacking.

On a mostly-unrelated note, over the last couple days, my boss and I both worked on the same real-life problem for entirely too many hours. We both had the same set of information, but neither of us could come up with the solution. Oh, how many times I deleted it all and started from scratch, only to go down the same road and have to start all over again. Talk about spinning one's wheels... deadlines were approaching, and I had nothing.

Then, late last night, long after most of my co-workers had retired for the evening, the lightbulb came on, and the hundreds of thousands of dollars I was trying to reconcile was suddenly only out-of-balance by a mere $64.* And there was much rejoicing. If you could have seen the celebratory look on my face and felt the weight of confusion lifted off my shoulders, you'd have thought I had just come up with e=mc^2.

In the comment section, feel free to come up with a better comparison than coming up with e=mc^2. I'm guessing Callahan will have something outrageous and potentially rude for me...

(*When balancing your checkbook, if you're off by less than a dollar, you don't really care, do you? I mean, sure, you want to see triple-zeroes on that calculator when you press the equal button for the last time, but if you're within a buck, you know you're golden. Well, when dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars, that "who gives a crap" threshold increases a little. In this case, $64 made me downright ecstatic.)

1 comment:

B-Call said...

i'll share my thoughts with you at Walt's in a few weeks.