There may be snow on the ground in Cincinnati, but the Cincinnati Reds are playing baseball a few hundred miles south of here, which means they'll be here in town soon.
Join me in prayer to Oestero, the Roman god of baseball: May the hamstrings of Junior Griffey remain intact and functional... May Dusty Baker enforce a strict 175-pitch count on the precious right arm of young Homer, the Greek god of 97-mph fastballs... May Bruce and Votto give this team a youthful spark that pushes our beloved Redlegs to televised October baseball games... May Encarnacion have a breakout year... May _________...
Ok, I'll stop... that's feeling a little creepy...
With ballgames being played in Florida (& Arizona), the annual Government Cheese League Fantasy Baseball Draft must be coming soon, too, right? Heck yeah! This league rocks. The 8 guys are the same group from last year. There will be Walt's BBQ, Trotta's Goetta Pizza, 7 baseball-loving Cincinnatians in my living room, and 1 baseball-loving Mets fan stuck in the purgatory of Boston conferenced in via some form of today's modern communication technology. It will be glorious.
Tomorrow is the "keeper deadline" by which all teams must declare their 3 veterans and 1 rookie that they are choosing to keep from last year's team. I have declared... Chase Utley, Matt Holliday, Big Papi (David Ortiz, not my dad), and the irresistible Troy Tulowitzki are mine.
Sweet, Glorious Baseball indeed!
(Want proof that I'm a complete and hopeless geek? I heard that a couple guys in my fantasy league are trying to complete a blockbuster trade before the keeper deadline and I got really really really really excited. I'm not even involved in the trade, and yet I'm excited about it. Wow. The longterm prognosis for my sanity is not so good.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
it would help if the "Greek God of 97mph Fastballs" could actually throw 97mph.
do want goetta-topped pizza.
oh, but he can throw the heat. you will see. you scoffer.
must have goetta-topped pizza. mmmmmmmmmmmm... goetta-topped pizza...
...and with a homer simpson reference, we've come full circle.
just call me Scoffy McGhee (half brother of Willie).
i hope he can get it up to 97 this year. but if he doesn't do something cool soon, i'd doubt he'll ever live up to all his hype.
I know this is a little off topic for all you fantasy baseball geeks,....but Monday night I had the pleasure of watching(FSN) the ‘75 World Series game 3,...Reds vs BosSocks......and the kicker is,
I was there.! A mere 23 yr old. In the words of Yogi Berra, “it was deja vu all over again”! JB
jacked one out, Tony (The Big Dog) Perze stole second base, light hitting Geronimo hit one
out....the infamous Ed Armbruister's bunt/interference went down just before Little Joe hit’s a single with 2 strikes to win the game in the 10th . Ya had to be there.
This yrs Redlegs have more balls then I’ve seen in a long while....could be interesting!
You going to have eggs and beer with the goetta Trotta?
Dan W
Post a Comment