Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let's Go Into the City (part 1)

When I was a kid growing up in the 'burbs, I found it exciting to go downtown. There was something about all the activity and noise during the day and all the lights at night that made me feel like there was more life in the city. The skyline... the old buildings... the big buildings... the unique buildings...

While a baseball game might have been the purpose of heading into town, I enjoyed the whole experience, including walking the sidewalks to get back to the car at 11pm. I liked walking the city streets with dad. Just something about it.

When I was a junior at my suburban high school, we got a limo before prom. We got all dressed up and went to Fountain Square to take pictures. Where else would we have gone? We were 16, and there was something cool about heading into town.

I could go on, but I'll get to the point...
I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The bride at last weekend's wedding isn't a native Cincinnatian. The groom is from Harrison. They bought a house off the Cincinnati-Dayton exit and attend a church in Springdale. So where did they want their wedding pictures taken?

Eden Park, naturally.

We got in the limo, and pulled away from the Springdale church. The limo driver asked the newlyweds where we were going. "Krohn Conservatory", the bride replied. "Where is that?" asked the driver. "Eden Park", said the groom. "How do I get there?" the driver asked. Silence. No one knew. Not the photographer, not the new couple, nor anyone in the wedding party.

The limo driver should know how to get there. Or at least, he should have GPS! (Kinda felt like and interaction with Beauregard the Taxi Driver in The Great Muppet Caper.) But I was more shocked that I was the only of 16 adults that knew how to get to the region's best park. It's not exactly an uncommon destination!

I shouted out directions to our chauffeur, who safely delivered us to our destination. I hope he wrote them down, as it probably won't be the last time someone wants to go there.

(to be continued...)

4 comments:

B-Call said...

glad you could step it up.

75 South to 50 East, onto Marin and you're drivin' in it.

friggin' pathetic.

Anonymous said...

it's not just this limo driver, it's EVERY limo driver. they have no sense of direction, even though they drive for a living. funny, eh?

Anonymous said...

Come on limo dude....ever hear of a tom tom or Magellan....Doesn't knowing where you're going come with the job??? Wouldn't knowing the heart of Cincinnati be a no brainer. Anyway, cool place for a photo-op.

Dan W

Kelly said...

Eden Park -- yes, the best! It's our backyard! We always see wedding pics being taken there.