Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Buying Property in the Neighborhood

Back in early August, I was in contact with a guy selling a building that I am interested in... you know, for sale by owner, in the 'hood, quasi-crappy run-down vacant building, horrible real estate market, then an interested potential buyer (ahem, that would be me) comes along and the seller decides to cut off contact? As if I'm going to chase him down and beg him to sell me this hole?!

I got a phone call today. No idea if it had anything to do with the stock market crash yesterday or not, but "we really want to sell this place..."

Robyn and I (and Meghyn and Marley and Toby and Aimee!) went through it tonight. It was way worse than I thought it would be. The audacity of them to ask such a ridiculous price for such a "project" of a building!

Seriously, what a mess. Robyn and I need to talk about it, but I'll put my thoughts up on the blog first, as she isn't currently sitting here (!) ... I would consider offering them approximately 20% of their asking price. Only a fool would pay more. Sheesh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they believe that cat piss had medicinal values.

Jason said...

Well, obviously they are trying to see what they can get out of you. Its just part of the game.
On the other hand, its very possible that they really truly believe the property value is increasing due to the revitalization efforts currently taking place in the area.
I'm assuming this building is in OTR?

scott d said...

jason,

i think these folks might actually be serious. not sure that they're playing the game. they obviously haven't looked to see what other similar properties are selling for. we're in east price hill, not OTR.

B-Call said...

tell me you're finally fulfilling your dream and opening your very own Pelmet manufacurer and retailer.
can i be an associate???