Friday, July 18, 2008

My Little Angus Young

Last month, I received a fantastic Father's Day present... my son in an AC/DC-themed "My Dad Rocks" shirt. I didn't think it could get better than that. But I was wrong.

Last week, or maybe it was 2 weeks ago -- I'm unsure, as my stress level has made my memory worse than usual -- I took Tobe out to run some errands and give Robyn a break. We were going to go buy a pair of shorts for me then pick up some groceries and head home.

Toby isn't the most obedient child, and he darn well knows by now that he's gonna get a spanking if he runs away from his parents in a parking lot or a store -- places where he could get badly injured or kidnapped. As we walked hand-in-hand into Wal*Mart, I reminded him that he is not to run away from his Daddy.

While I was looking at their selection of athletic apparel, Tobe ran. I knew he hadn't gone far, but the racks of clothing combined with his short stature made him hard to immediately find. In somewhat of a panic, I called out for him, and he responded, letting me know he was ok and nearby. I sternly responded that he was in trouble and that he knew not to run away and that as soon as I caught him he was going to get a swat...

...and then I saw him and couldn't help to laugh my butt off.
He had run to the hat rack and picked out an AC/DC hat, and he managed to successfully get it on his head. And he was already wearing the shirt. It was the perfect combination.

I pardoned him (which was probably the wrong decision). And I bought the hat. There will be plenty of other opportunities to discipline him. I didn't want to spoil this memory.

No comments: