Friday, July 25, 2008

And This Time I'm Being Honest With You...

...when I say that I am going to take a little break from softball. Because, if she isn't born before Sunday, Aimee will be born on Sunday. That's the 14-days-overdue mark that shan't be passed.

Last night was great fun. I can now claim to be the second hitter on a first place team. My job is to get on base and run around the bases when our 3-4-5-6 hitters step up to the plate. They call me Tony Gwynn, because I'm a fat singles hitter. Although I maybe/kinda/sorta had my first extra-base hit last night. It's debatable whether it was a double or I took 2nd on the throw. Either way, it felt good.

Doubleheader... won both games handily. 9-1 and 17-6. Both of our victories came against the 2 teams we would have played last week, had the one team not loaded up for the tournament. Now that the regular teams are back, we're undefeated.

And now I take a break. For real this time. Even when I'm frustrated... even when I pop up to an infielder... even when I pretty much just suck all around... I really look forward to Thursday nights. It's usually great fun just to be on the field, playing ball with friends.


(It should be duly noted that we gave up that 1 run in the first game in the top of the 7th when we moved guys around defensively. It should also be duly noted that we gave up all 6 runs in the second game in the 3rd after we became allergic to leather. We legitimately could have had 2 shutouts had we played defense just a little better.)

3 comments:

Dan Warnock said...

You summed it up in a nutshell when you said, "It's usually great fun just to be on the field, playing ball with friends."
Right on..!!
Enjoy and cherish the moments.

brk said...

you should get some photos of your softball games up here!

B-Call said...

i was the same way when i played. all i was good for was to line one over third.
one time, i actually did hit a triple. i thought i was going to die. i still get out of breath just thinking about running that hard for that distance.