Wednesday, July 30, 2008

FW: Fw: fwd: RE: FW: NObama!

To whom it may concern,

I continue to get countless emails from a variety of people encouraging me to spread the word about how much our military personnel hates Obama, or about how Obama is a radical Muslim, or how much our taxes are going to increase if Obama is elected...

Every freaking time, I reply (all) with the relevant snopes link. Even if it's a family member who sent it. Even if it's a prominent co-worker who sent it. Even if I think the sender will be embarrassed by my reply (all) to their message.

But screw it. It's absolutely irresponsible to mass forward a bunch of lies. And just as I'm willing to be held accountable for the stuff that spews from my mouth (or in this case, fingers on a keyboard), I expect others to be held responsible for the crap they send.

You wanna tell me your opinion that Obama's policies look and feel a little too much like Marx? Ok. That's your opinion, and I might even agree with you. You wanna tell me that you think the media is a little too left-leaning for you? Fine. You're free to say whatever you want. You want to tell me that you prefer one candidate over the other? Great. I'm glad you have an opinion. Just don't tell me lies.

Nobody should base their vote upon blatant lies. You got real facts that you can verify if I call you on them? I'll take them. But if you forward a pile of shit, your credibility is gonna take a big hit with me.

(And, umm... if you ask me if I got that email and I say "no", it's because Gmail now thinks you are a spammer.)

Stop it.

Warmest regards,
scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's absolutely irresponsible to mass forward a bunch of lies."

word.

Anonymous said...

i second that "word"