Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Pledge Allegiance...

On the fourth of July, little (12" x 18"?) American flags on wooden sticks were placed in each front yard on my street. I liked looking down the street and seeing a flag in every yard. They each had a realtor's business card attached to them, but still, it was nice.

Approximately 3 weeks later, the red and blue colors on the cheap poly material have faded, but most of my neighbors still have Old Glory near the sidewalk. Honestly, for whatever reason, I didn't think they would last. I figured the flags would be taken down and discarded. So I feel good about this.

I was doing some yardwork stuff last night, and I was no more than 15 feet from the flag. A kid, approximately 10 years old (I'm unsure) who might live down the street (I'm unsure) apparently did not see me. As he walked past my front steps, he grabbed the flag, ripped it off the little wooden stick and threw both pieces to the ground. It might have been aggressive... it might have simply been playful. (I'm unsure.)


I didn't say anything... I just... kinda stared, mildly shocked that such a thing happened on my property, right in front of my eyes. Then he saw me, looked really uncomfortable, quickly said "sorry" and ran. I picked up the pieces and placed them on my porch.
_______________________

When I was growing up, I don't recall ever taking anything out of anyone's front yard and destroying it. I toilet papered a house or 15 in my day, but don't think I ever intentionally broke anything. And there's no way I'd ever destroy an American flag. Maybe it's the way I was raised... but I've always thought the stars & stripes deserved respect.

_______________________

If it would have been a white kid who did this, I probably would have yelled at him and asked him to come pick up the pieces. I might have even told him that he needs to be more respectful of his neighbor's property, and especially the flag.

But it was a black kid. And I said nothing. I think I'm afraid of being accused of being a racist. So I let it go. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it. I just know that I would have reacted differently if it was a white kid. It's not at all that I have different expectations of people based upon the color of their skin...

I don't care whether you are male or female, black or white or Asian or Hispanic, young or old. Other people's property should be respected. Whoever hit my car a few months ago should have left a note, at least acknowledging responsibility. But I said nothing... it's... sheesh... it's...

I think it's because I think white people have mistreated black people so badly for the bulk of our nation's history... and I don't want my neighbor remembering a white man yelling at him. Even if what he was doing was wrong.

There. I said it. I'm kinda messed up about this. Your feedback is welcomed. (I think.) (I'm unsure.)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I've had similar situations where I reacted differently because someone was black, and I didn't want them to think I was racist. As you said, it wasn't because I felt any different about the person because of race. I just didn't want someone to accuse me of anything. I totally understand. I think the intent behind not wanting to seem racist is a good thing. But when will we get to the point where we react the same, where people are just people? Or will that ever happen? I always feel confused about my reactions as well. Maybe other races have reacted similarly to Caucasian people?

Anonymous said...

I guess I am going to make a comment and I really don't want to be mean here....well, I am sure you are not a racist...in fact most people are not. But I do think when white people and I am one of them, react differently when someone is a different skin color, I think we ARE then the racist. We, all of us, need to act, react the same no matter what. Why treat that little kid who is black different than another kid who is white? Who benefits by that...certainly not the kid. A line I'll never forget that President Bush used in a speech...."the soft bigorty of low expectations". I think that is one of the most powerful phrases I have heard and use it quite often.
I get your point. I live in Westwood and understand your frustration regarding bad behavior, regardless of the person's skin color. Over the years I have been called those names you are talking about but to be honest with you at 47 years old...I don't give a rip! I know what is in my heart and could not care less what others think. I can tell you now that I do treat everyone the same. I treat the kids I have problem(s) with as if could have been friends of my son...no better or worse.
Everyone needs to learn to respect others properties. These are things that you and I and probably most people we know learned at home....a lot of kids in our neighborhoods are not learning that at their homes, sad to say.