Tuesday, April 15, 2008

No, Really, Taxes are Actually Done Now...

Every year, I say I'm going to do our taxes early so as to not wait until the last minute. Most years, I even get started on them in mid-January, getting a rough draft together. Then, every year, I don't finish them until the 2nd week of April. And every year, I get stressed about them.

I was so happy to finally be done. Sunday night, I finished federal and state for my family and my sister. All my paperwork was finished! I didn't realize it, but there was one problem that would need my attention...

Dad wasn't done with his taxes.

Last night, 'twas around 9:40pm, and I was enjoying some popcorn, a glass of Coke, and conversation with my wife. Tobe was peacefully asleep, and I was basking in the glory of how wonderful it is to put him to bed. Then, the Bat Phone rang. It was a panicked Big Papi.

I pulled in his driveway at 9:59pm, and began beating the ever-living $#!& out of his Federal Schedule A, Federal Schedule 8283, and Ohio Schedule A. By 12:20am, I was on my way home.

I wish that last paragraph was as simple as it sounds.

I know I've already said this ad naseum, but it shouldn't be so difficult to do taxes. My dad and I are both intelligent fellas. We both have math-and-business-oriented brains. We both have business degrees. We both can read and comprehend above a 5th-grade level. I have an accounting degree and my dad has extensive knowledge when it comes to investing.

Oh well, at least, now, finally, we (as a family) are done. Until, of course, we have to amend because we find mistakes...

Call it stupidity, call it pride, call it what you will... I just refuse to pay an accountant to do my taxes when I feel I should be capable of doing so myself.

2 comments:

B-Call said...

yeah, mindee didn't get done with ours until about 10:30 last night. i was gonna be all hacked if she didn't get them done. don't turn'em in on time, then no bonus check in June. that's my PS3, yo!

so, yeah, that "Papi for Johan almost trade" is looking like a big piece of poo now, eh?

Anonymous said...

We did mail them, right?