Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Breakfast of Champions...

...was, is, and always will be goetta. In fact, it shouldn't be called a breakfast food, as such a title could restrict its use to only mornings, and that would be a travesty. Me likey the goetta.

Robyn is not a Pampered Chef addict by any means, but she has a friend who sells stuff, and we have a house that is conducive to larger gatherings, so a "party" was had. And now we have a very nice pie stone.


And this pie stone makes me long for one thing, and one thing only: deep dish pizza. Of course, the process of making deep dish pizza leads to a very important question, which is "whatever shall we put on top?" The answer, obviously, as if it even needed to be asked, is goetta.

The world has never seen such a glorious pizza. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but a mere image could never express such tastiness.

Ok, maybe it shouldn't be an everyday kind of food. Surely, the food pyramid would call it a "sometimes food". Regardless, it's a superb food. Levon and I were discussing this last night... how can one go wrong when combining beef, pork, grain and oats? Aren't those 4 of the worlds most wonderful foods? Can mixing them together possibly be a bad thing?

Bush 43 better eat it up, and fast. He's missing out.

(And also, is it ok that when proofreading this post I find myself reading it in the same tone and voice inflection as when I read that stupid Winnie the Pooh book where that dumb bear asks Christopher Robin to fire a gun at the balloon he's holding? I might be on the verge of another breakdown.)

6 comments:

Justin Hall said...

goetta is a "never" food. things that are far better on pizza than goetta:

- roasted garlic
- feta (rhymes with goetta, and doesn't suck like goetta)
- mushrooms
- basil
- everything
- parmesan
- barbequed chicken

in all seriousness - i have been considering a pizza stone cause i am tired of non-crispy crust on my homemade pies. however i have heard that unglazed quarry tiles that you get from lowe's for $1. i may have to give that a shot...

Darren said...

Em and I love our stone. You just can't get a better flavor than the one that has been cooked into a stone for five years.

Roasted garlic
Feta does suck, it is managable on salads, but nothing else- (so don't use feta)
basil
oregano
Extra Contadina (sp?) red sauce.
Parmesan

I am not really a fan of goetta, but I am super picky about my food so take that for what its worth.

And to answer your last question, No it is not o.k.(kidding)

Anonymous said...

simply put....


if i could eat goetta every day, for every meal, without ending up being the size of wisconsin....


i would do it.

Anonymous said...

UUM, FOOD..!! Goetta and 2 over easy!! With a couple drops of tobasco..!! Now we're talkin'!
JoAnn and I did the "Goetta Fest" a few yrs back,....in Covington,.. they had goetta fudge, goetta sausage, of course goetta pizza, and about 20 other foods made with the goetta! Now goetta fudge...I don't think so.!

brk said...

goetta...now that's something i like and haven't had in a while!

when i'm back in cincy in june, i might stop by for a big ole plate of goetta!

pepperoni and green olive pizza. don't knock it til you try it. too bad our pizza stone is in a storage unit in fremont, ohio. how did that work out?

B-Call said...

piss off justin.
for real, when simon and i hit up Goettafest this summer on Mainstrasse in Covington, you're coming with us. they have fried goetta balls. how can that go wrong?