I started researching. I looked on Craigslist. I looked on Ebay. I played a couple absolutely horrible organs at a local antique place. (They were HORRIBLE.) I came to the conclusion that there are very few of these things out there in any sort of reasonable condition. There is a plethora of them available that are pretty to look at but impossible to get a nice sound out of, but I'm not looking for a piece of furniture. I mean, looks are nice and all, but if she doesn't sound good when I play her, what good is she? (Write that one down, boys. That's poetic.)
With my wife's blessing and encouragement, we planned a day trip to Madison. After a month of thinking about it, it was decided that it was worth looking at again. This could no longer be considered a dreaded "impulse buy".
I recently sold a piece of equipment, I have some cash stashed away in a "music slush fund" of sorts, and we have Dubya's Stimulus. So, this thing wasn't going to blow up our finances.
We would borrow a vehicle capable of hauling it home, if it was decided that it was an acceptable instrument. Remember, these things always sound better at the store, or at camp, or in my mind. So, we'd go check it out, and if I wanted it, I could have it.
I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
It's awesome. It sounds real nice. It looks real nice. (I think the dining room is now officially done!) Toby enjoyed the road trip in "Karl's Wed Twuck". Robyn and I enjoyed a change of pace. And I got to talk to my new friend Rod again. So we all win.
No comments:
Post a Comment