Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Had a Better Day Than You

Today, I...
  • Woke up next to a peacefully sleeping wife. She's so pretty. She's especially gorgeous when she's resting. There's something about her sleepy face that always makes me smile.

  • Received a phone call from my lifelong friend Mike, now in NC. He was calling to tell me that their second son was born a few hours earlier. And that they gave him 'Scott' as a middle name. I shall never forget that conversation.

    (Mike & Jerri, if you ever read this, I hope you know how much you mean to me. I respect the two of you so much for leaving town and making your life doing the group home thing. No higher calling, in my opinion. And Mike, your faith has certainly impacted me at least as much as anything I could have ever done for you. Thank you both. I'm honored more than you could know.)

  • Received a phone call from Tye, asking if I wanted to hang during lunch. I did. 'Twas quite nice. I even got to lay down some accordion tracks at Crossroads' new studio. Good times. Man... I miss playing music with that dude.

  • Went home after work and hugged & kissed my wife. That makes for a good day, right? Guys... if you have a wife... hug her and kiss her.

  • Received a "big big behwah hug" (that's a 'big big bear hug' for those of you scoring at home) and Toby kisses from a naked Toby. That's just the way we roll, here in the 'hood. Guys... if you have kids... hug them and kiss them. Maybe not while in a state of nakedness, but whatever you gotta do to make it happen. Please don't take this too far out of context.

  • Listened to Redemption Songs at a high volume. Dan Haseltine does it for me. And so does his band.

  • Ate a darn good steak dinner in the yard with my family and Levon's family. No empty seats at the table. All husbands, wives, and children were present and accounted for. This may sound simple, but I can't even begin to tell you how awesome this is.
And if all these things weren't good enough, I just ate a piece of my birthday cake (made with love - and alcohol - by my mommy).

Pretty much the perfect day for my personality. Quality conversations with some of my closest friends... Some time with my wife and my son... Fellowship with a family we love... and, well, good food. I'm enjoying it while I can. There's no way tomorrow will be this good.

No comments: