Monday, June 09, 2008

My Church Music Thoughts (part 3)

(continued from parts 1 & 2. I started this post 3 months ago. Just haven't finished. But, well, a whole heckuva lot has happened since then - most of which I may never go into on here.)

Late last year, something strange happened. I started getting excited about it all. As I stated previously, there have been instances of satisfaction and excitement, but passion? This was a new feeling. For once, after years of doing this, I started feeling like maybe I wasn't just filling in because no one else did... maybe this really is a calling. Maybe this is something God really has me doing. Maybe. I started to think that I need to take this gig more seriously.

I started to reflect upon the fact that hundreds of people are following my lead on Sunday mornings. I like to internally minimize the things I do. I try to make myself feel like my jobs aren't that important. I think I'm scared of pride, of getting a big head... so I go the opposite direction, which sometimes harms my self-esteem. I've always been my own worst enemy!

So, I had opened up to the idea that leading praises is a bigger deal than I like to think it is. Then one day, Randy (my bass player) told us all about Jericho. It was war... it was a battle... soldiers... guards... drawn swords... But who manned the front line? Who went out in front? The trumpeters.

Wait a minute... so there's a war... and instead of putting men in armor up front, instead of putting men with swords up front, God chooses the musicians? I kinda always thought of myself as more of a background guy. I'll help write the soundtrack that will sink below the action... I'll be the accompaniment. Certainly not the front line!

Is this a good interpretation of that Scripture passage? I have no idea. Regardless, it opened my eyes to truth: we are in a spiritual war in this life, and we're all participants. I may want to blend into my surroundings... I may want to be an extra, a role player... but that's not what I'm called to be. I'm meant to be on the front lines, laying it on the line, giving my all.

You know, assuming there's a battle.

(to be continued, again, hopefully in less than 3 months)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey scott! I loved this post, and I thought i would drop you a note letting you know how awesome a worship minister you are. God has surely blessed you with an amazing talent. I've been to a lot of different churches but I have yet to find a leader who leads with as much passion and humility as you do (except maybe Tye, I think you guys are tied). Our whole worship team is great, but Im so thankful that we have someone so willing to serve the lord leading the team. So I guess what I want to say is thanks :)
-Rachael C