Friday, May 16, 2008

My Running < Your Walking (?)

I may be the slowest runner ever. Actually, I'm not really a runner. I tried to run once, but it didn't last. It was a huge victory for me to survive a 5k last year, but I haven't run since. My knee has hurt ever since that 5k, and I decided to wait until I healed before giving it another go.

Well, my knee hurts much worse today than it did that day. It never got better from the 5k, and it only got worse during all the moving (my family and some of my friends multiple times) and remodeling done to the Price Hill house. I haven't been smart about it.

I'm still not in any danger of dropping below the Mendoza line with my weight, and I continue to eat entirely too much food, especially the wrong food. My inability to have any sort of discipline with calorie intake destroys my self-esteem and makes me feel like a fat failure. And I make excuses every time I threaten to exercise.

So, even with a knee that hurts, I hit the street to once again see how far I could make it before feeling like I was going to collapse. I made it a half mile. The second run was eight tenths of a mile. And I just finished my third run, and I made it to my goal for today: one entire mile. It may have been the slowest mile anyone has ever completed, but I never stopped to walk. I think I saw a turtle pass me on the sidewalk, but I never stopped.

The Redlegs Run For Home 5k is June 7, which also serves as my 27th birthday. So, here I post, for all the world to see, my goal is to run (jog?) that 5k nonstop, in the neighborhood of 30 minutes. I have a few weeks to get up to the 3.1 miles. Again, the motivation is getting to cross the finish line on the field of GABP.

I should be able to do it, as long as I don't make excuses. So... ummm... hold me accountable. Robyn and I took the Tobe to the bakery this morning and I resisted the tasty goodness that is the glazed twist. And I've had salads for dinner the last 3 evenings. But while eating decent might help me shed a pound or 2 before then, only getting out and moving my legs will get me to the finish line. Good luck to us all.

2 comments:

steve-o said...

If I didn't have a soccer game at that time, I would join you. Sounds like fun.

I was having problems with my knee while running and went to Walgreens to pick up a cheap compression brace. Worked like a charm. Didn't give me added endurance though.

Any truth to the rumor that the winner gets the #5 starter position?

Anonymous said...

Running/jogging play hell on your joints and back. After a several dozen 10 K's, half marathons, 1 full marathon and 2 back surgerys, I gave the gig up. T'was hard too. I was addicted....like shooting up it was. It's a ton of pounding on your body. I'd consider something a tad more joint friendly, like biking. But hey...enjoy the Reds Run!