Friday, May 30, 2008

Broke Down (still...)

Just to add insult to injury, I managed to get hurt last night at softball... WHILE KEEPING SCORE.

I told Levon I wasn't going to be able to play, and he informed me that, as the team's official manager and statistician (?!) I had to come and be with the team even if I wasn't manning an infield spot with subpar defense or, ahem, popping up to the shortstop and throwing the bat and cussing under my breath and yelling at umpires*. Wow. (No wonder I have such low self-esteem.)

So, I went, managed as much as one can manage in crap-league softball, and kept score. (Have I ever mentioned that I love stats? I might rather keep score than play. Ok, maybe I just crossed a line.) And instead of wearing softball pants and cleats, I wore shorts and sandals.

So the stage is set, right? Got an image of me, in "street clothes" keeping score in the dugout? Ok, good.

Frank Jr gets thrown out at third trying to stretch a legit two-bagger into a triple. He argued with the ump but somehow maintained his carefree goofy demeanor. (He was safe, but that's because the umpires at Pastime suck on _______... sorry... I should keep this a family-safe space...)

A very animated Frank receives a bear hug for his competitive spirit from his scorekeeper, aka Yours Truly, as he demanded that I rule it a double for his statline. And he cleated me. There is now a fold in my toenail on my big toe where his shoe pushed my unprotected nail back. It bled continuously for 2 hours.

So, to recap... Injured foot? Check. Ankle? Check. Knee? Check. Groin? Check. Neck? Oh yes. Fractured ego? You know it.


Stay away from me for a few days, ok? I'm a disaster waiting to happen.

(*Somehow, I managed not to post about how I almost got thrown out of my softball game a few weeks ago for arguing with an ump?! How did this not get blogged about!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude! :-(