Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Dining Room

I like dining rooms. Are they practical? Absolutely not. An eat-in kitchen (or breakfast bar) has plenty of space for a family to share a meal. But a formal dining room is just... special?

I think our dining room is the crown jewel of our house. It has the pocket doors, the enormous front window, the parquet floor, the old formal DR furniture, and the Bride Wall. It's been "done" for several months, but I haven't taken pictures of it until now.

Here's the only photo we took of the room before tearing it apart.
After the carpet was torn out, we discovered this treasure of a floor that was refinishable.It was starting to show signs of gorgeousness (!) even before the floor was sealed.
Now, it's done, and it's awesome.It's after 1 in the morning, and I just went out onto the porch and took a pic through the front window. For whatever reason, looking into the house feels like a scene from an old movie. I can picture the black-and-white camera panning through the window... Maybe it's just me, but I envision a Rat-Pack-esque social gathering. Minus the kids' table, of course!

1 comment:

brk said...

looks good! keep the updates and photos coming!