Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Wife, Idol, Nazis, Taxes

Robyn's sick. Not fun for her. Sometimes she can tend to be... how do I say... resistant to accept help. She's strong, she never complains, and she works hard. I appreciate that. Also, it helps me to notice when she really does need help. She was out running errands this morning and stopped by her parents' house to help with the Seder meal scheduled for Thursday night. While she was there, she started feeling kinda wacky... and eventually I got the phone call stating I should plan on going straight to the in-laws when my day at the office was complete. "Mastitis" is the diagnosis... I just know that she hurts like crazy and doesn't have enough energy to get out of bed. That's not Robyn... if she's acting like this, she must really be sick. And sure enough, she was running a 103.5 fever. We're finally home. She's a trooper. And we're very thankful that The Tobe chose today to be the best-behaved kid ever, because something had to go right.

Idol... When Seacrest announced that tomorrow's results show is an hour-long special, I muttered an expletive. Quit messing with the show. It works fine. Leave it alone. 60 minutes on Tuesday and 30 minutes on Wednesday is enough. I can't handle more. I dig the show, but they need to stop this. I already hate myself for watching 90 minutes of television per week. Plus, I'm at a point where I don't think I really care who wins. I still think Chris is head and shoulders above the rest and will probably prevail. Katharine has been my favorite lady by far, but she seems to finally realize that she's good, and that ruins it for me for her--I liked her a lot more when she seemed genuinely surprised that she was good. I like Taylor, I really dig Elliot... ah heck, I actually don't care all that much. All I know is that Kellie's costume tonight looked like the worst parts of Ashlee, Britney, and some random cross-dressing dude all thrown into one. Seriously now, fashion people, I know the music of the week is Queen, and multiple members of Queen contacted AIDS via promiscuous homosexual activity and died, but was it really necessary to dress Pickler up like a male-dominatrix-whore? Enough. And if you have no idea who I'm talking about and would prefer it be explained to you as a big analogy to football, read
this. Next topic.

I love it when a plan comes together!
Some friendly white supremacists neglected to fully investigate where they were going to spread their hate. They knew it was Miami University, but they ended up on a street corner in Oxford when they meant to be at the Hamilton campus. I know this is America and everyone has the right to free speech and all, but I'd be ok if a cop accidently shot all of these bungholes.

Update 4-13-06, 1:00am: I'd like to retract my statement about wishing them shot. I will not back off my opinion of white supremacists being scum, but human scum is still human, and humans shouldn't be shot. I am an angry person at times, especially when I see obvious hateful flaws in others. But vengeance is not mine. My role is to love. Not tolerate, but love. I do not wish death on the Nazis, even though I maintain that they are scum. You know, I'm scum too, and even my best is filthy rags in comparison to the holiness of Christ. I really don't have much in the way of grounds to claim to be better than the Nazis. I'm dirty inside too... it's just that my dirtiness doesn't manifest itself as a white supremacist. Update complete.

Every year I say I'm not going to wait until the last minute to do my taxes. Every year I end up waiting and stressing and being no fun around April 13th or so. So this year was the year! I got started early! I have a sweet Excel spreadsheet that helps me stay organized! I started my taxes in January! And of course I haven't touched them since. So, at some point over the next couple days, I'm going to become much less fun to be around. I want to abide by the laws of the land... I don't want to cheat the government... I want the government to get what they are entitled to... but not a penny more. Over the next couple days, it will become my mission in life to ensure that they get exactly what they are entitled to and nothing else.

No comments: