Monday, January 01, 2007

Christmas / Toby's Birthday

I've been off work since December 22, and must return to the office tomorrow morning. If I don't get some of these thoughts down now, I probably never will. It's been a good 10 days.

I really like being home. I like seeing my wife for more than just a few hours after work before bed. I like seeing my son for more than just an hour during dinner and brief playtime before bed. I have spent much time with them lately, and giving that up will be the hardest part of going back to the office.

The more time I spend with Robyn, the more I realize how much I love her. After a week and a half of almost constant togetherness, I'm not ready for a marriage vacation. It's good to be married to my favorite person in the world.

I think Toby has enjoyed having Daddy around more, too. I don't know how else to say it. I know
I have enjoyed it, and it seems he does as well.
The poor kid is always going to think that he's getting cheated out of gifts, though. With Christmas and his December 28 birthday, it's bound to happen. It seemed like constant presents here for a few days.
For those of you who don't have kids, there's no need to spend money on presents for a 1-year-old. All the kid could ever want is found in an empty box.
See what I mean?
He liked his first birthday cake more than... well... more than a fat kid loves cake.

Also, in between Christmas and The Tobe's birthday, Toby got to hang out with Aidan, the most impressive 15-month-old I've ever met. Of course, time with Aidan meant good quality oldpeople hangout time with the Warnocks and Trislers, so everybody won.

It's been a good week. Now I must get my butt to work. It will be a tough couple weeks not just because of the 10 day layoff, but also because accountant-ing is pretty intense in early January. Really. No lie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is robyn ok? she's wearing socks.

B-Call said...

i know what you mean. i've noticed how much happier Aly has been, having mommy and daddy around for the long weekends lately. you can tell that she loves it.

and oh yeah, the Bengals STINK!

Anonymous said...

I noticed the sock thing too - do you have heat in that house? Are you freezin' her out or what? I have never seen her feet without flip flops. Things must be bad - REALLY BAD!! Tell her that we have any extra room with HEAT! In fact, it's so warm here you don't even need clothes let alone socks! PS - HOW ABOUT THAT AWESOME TOBY THE TOTBOT XMAS PRESENT? WAS THAT COOL OR WHAT???? I CAN SEE THAT I AM GOING TO BE HIS FAVORITE AS WELL!!! WHO KNEW????????????