Since my son was sick this past week, I called my band members on Thursday to cancel the evening rehearsal. We were already planning to do songs that we already knew, so I figured we could just throw it together with a quick 30-minute soundcheck/practice before the 9:30 service.
This morning, I quasi-overslept: I was officially on-time, but was hurried enough that I wasn't really mentally ready. Add that to the fact that I was trying all sorts of wacky guitar stuff on the first song and it was a recipe for first service disaster. I tried to calm down before gametime, but
me trying to do something that I need God's strength for has been historically proven a bad idea.
Sure enough, I broke a string on the first song. I switched to the backup axe with the shady electronics... the electronics pooped out. Things could have gone better! In between services, I quickly went to re-string faithful guitar #1 and proceeded to puncture multiple holes in my fingers, thus bleeding all over said guitar. At this point, I began laughing, because I knew I was trying to do it on my own, which NEVER works.
I picked up my pastor's guitar, decided that would be the instrument of choice, went and prayed with the band, told them I'm an idiot, I apologized to God for the thing I've made it, asked God to bless 2nd service, and took the stage.
2nd service freaking rocked, and it had nothing to do with me. It had everything to do with a holy God with a sense of humor and great patience for his humbled child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
it never fails to blow my mind when that happens. i wish i DIDN'T have examples of times i was less than prepared, or over-prepared, went into a youth meeting or a speaking gig thinking i could swing it ok (either with nothing or with too much) and began to tank. realizing what a blockhead i am part way through, stopping, quick prayer, deep breath, start over and BAM - hit in the face with the awesomeness of God.
amazingly, those over/under prepared teaching / preaching gigs are some of the most memorable messages i've ever given, both for the listener and the speaker.
and it never has anything to do with me.
Post a Comment