Saturday, December 02, 2006

I'm the Cat Lady!

Glenn Beck is my favorite radio personality. He's a good guy to listen to if you are somewhat intrigued by politics, lean a little to the right, yet have no intention of ever letting politics takeover your life in a Rush Limbaugh / Bill O'Reilly / Sean Hannity kind of way. He's funny, he's insightful, and he's a goofy idiot all at the same time. I'm thankful that he's back on the air here in Cincinnati on 96.5fm from 10-noon M-F, as he makes those 2 hours at work much more fun.

At some point last year, he talked about a bad news story that involved one of those dreaded "cat ladies". You know the type... weighs 400 pounds, lives with zero other humans, has 57 cats. He then went on a rant that essentially went like this:
SHE HAS 57 FREAKING CATS. No one should ever have more than one cat. Under ANY circumstances. There's just no good reason for anyone to have more than one cat. (pause... rethinking...)

OK, maybe if you already have one cat and you think your cat is lonely at home by itself all day, then maybe, just maybe, it could be ok to get a 2nd cat. But no one, under ANY circumstances, should ever have more than 2 cats. There's just no good reason for anyone to have more than 2 cats. (pause... rethinking again...)

OK, so maybe if you already have one cat and you get your cat a playmate because it's lonely and then a hungry stray malnourished kitten ends up on your front porch, and it's cold and wet outside, then maybe, just maybe, it could be ok to let the hungry stray malnourished cold wet kitten inside. But no one, under ANY circumstances, should ever have more than 3 cats. That's it. That's my final decision. No one should ever have more than 3. Period. (pause... rethinking again...)

OK, so maybe if you already have one cat and you get your lonely cat a playmate and then you get the hungry stray malnourished cold wet kitten and then you later on meet and marry a women who had one lonely cat and got it a freaking playmate and then got a freaking hungry stray malnourished cold wet kitten, then maybe, just maybe, it would be ok to have 6 cats. But DAMMIT it's never ok to have more than 6 cats...
It was freaking hilarious. He was taking on the mental point-of-view of the Cat Lady! I'm pretty sure I wet myself upon hearing that, because I know how that is. We had one cat (Sesame). We decided to get her a friend (Millie, aka "The Dog"). We said that there was no way we were going to get a third cat. 6 weeks later, a poor little frightened underweight kitten (Belle, aka "Baby") showed up on the porch. We've added no cats since. Any more and we'd be "The Cat People". To some, we already are.

All this to say: we're down to 2 cats here in the Duebber household. Now, don't get me wrong, I liked all 3 of our cats, but I am thrilled that The Dog has left us. She has moved on to a home that will give her more love than we are able to give her here- she went to live with Colleen. They really bonded when they both lived here in the early part of 2005. Here's a picture of her taking a nap on her face during her last hour in College Hill:And this time I'm being honest with you when I say there's no way we're getting more than 2 cats...

1 comment:

B-Call said...

I've got a gun and a bullet for that one cat.