Thursday, December 21, 2006

Couch Chronicles

One week after offering to give a quality sleeper sofa to whomever wanted it, the old couch is gone and the new couch is here. The new couch came from the place with Anthony Munoz and the annoying midget, and was sold to us by a saleswoman who said she has a son named Scott and a daughter named Robyn. Gotta love some salesfolk...

Anywho, we decided upon a potential new couch, then decided that the potential new couch wouldn't match up with the living room paint color, so we then decided that we liked the potential new couch more than we liked the actual living room paint color, so we bought the couch and painted the living room. I wonder if this is a common way to buy furniture, to buy items that force further remodeling action? So the new living room is a huge improvement from the old living room.
A friend of a friend (henceforth to be referred to as "Foaf") has fallen on hard times lately, and has essentially nothing to his name. Foaf lives in a part of town that I would not want to get lost in at night. (I know this because I've been lost in Foaf's part of town at night and was much afeared.) He asked for the couch, I said heck yeah but will you arrange to pick it up, he said yeah, I said cool. A few days went by, no phone call from Foaf, so I called Foaf, and Foaf gave some lame excuses why he wasn't able to take care of business.

To make a long story a little shorter, all Foaf had to do was make a phone call at some point over a period of 5 days, and he didn't do it. Foaf didn't have a bed or a couch in his apartment, this piece of furniture would provide both, so I figured he'd take the initiative. I figured wrong. Last night, Ceen, Clifton, and I delivered the couch. I even picked him up from elsewhere to take him to his apartment so we could deliver the couch. I was starting to understand why Foaf had fallen on hard times.

Foaf is a really nice guy, and I hope all the reaching out that has been done for him helps him get his life back together. At the very least, he now has something a little more substantial than the air mattress on the floor that he's used to.

No comments: