Saturday, November 25, 2006

Rabbit Ears = Channel 38

As has been said many times here in this space, there is no cable TV in this house. Too expensive, too time consuming, and a myriad of other reasons. The TV is turned on typically only during (1) the occasional movie rental, (2) MLB playoffs, and (3) Bengals games.

I make an exception to that rule when I find out that there is a good (maybe I should say "close" instead of "good") college football game on at the same time Toby is napping. The obscure, not-anywhere-to-be-found Channel 38 carries ESPN Plus on Saturday afternoons.

Now some of you might argue that the adjective "good" cannot accurately describe a UC vs UConn college football game. (Maybe a late-90s-early-2000s Huggins V Calhoun basketball game?) Thing is, I've never been a big college football fan. UC has always sucked, Columbus is far enough away that my heart has never been invested fully in the Buckeye Nation, and I went to Mount St. Joe (which has since become a D3 juggernaut, but their high school theatre department probably still gets more press on campus).

Both of my parents went to UC, and I think the only way I'll ever get into the college game is if there is a good product on the field at Nippert led by a respectable man. The Big East isn't exactly the 2nd coming of the Big Ten or SEC, but it's a whole lot better than C-USA. And Dantonio is certainly a respectable man.

I'll still be watching tOSU in January, I'll always root for my father-in-law's Vandy Commodores, but the Bearcats are probably the only shot I have of getting into Saturday football.

1 comment:

Butros Butros said...

Dantonio may be a respectable man, but he's no longer on UC's sideline. Maybe if you rooted for Michigan State you may get into College foo-ball.

GO BUCKS!