Stanley Spadowski really screwed up. Hard to say exactly what was going through his head… maybe at first he was trying to be funny to stay in control of the crowd? Then maybe when it was obvious he had gone too far his pride didn’t allow him to just quit? I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, he screwed up, and it is inexcusable to say the things he said in 2006. While most know the latest celebrity to go off the deep end as "Kramer", to me, he’ll always be the janitor who enthusiastically let the kid drink from the fire hose after finding the marble in the oatmeal.
Sticking with the UHF theme, maybe I’m a loser, but I think Weird Al is freaking hilarious. "White & Nerdy" is brilliant. Long ago I decided that my musical aspirations would all be fulfilled if only I could sing a duet with a Muppet on Sesame Street. Preferably Grover, cause he’s the… well, I guess Grover is male. Maybe I should revamp those goals. My new musical dream is to write a song that Weird Al would want to parody.
As if UHF wasn’t enough to satisfy your ‘80s cheesy movie jones, Robyn and I finally got around to watching the 1985 classic Better Off Dead, highly recommended by the Basts. Wow. What a weird movie. I did laugh quite a lot. When Cusack was in the garbage truck and the tree trimmer said "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that"... funny stuff.
After watching these two movies and Ferris Bueller recently, I’m starting to think Wayne’s World was just another wacky movie of its day. Man, talk about something shaking the foundations of my life… I thought Wayne and Garth were revolutionaries. Turns out they were just weird drug-induced products of the ‘80s like the rest. But I’m still long overdue for another viewing of WW and the sequel.
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I totally agree. Stanley went waaayyy over the edge with what he said. I have no idea what went wrong there, but I'll guess alcohol had something to do with it. But that's not an excuse though. I'll have to watch UHF in memory of his better days for him this weekend.
Other thoughts:
Better Off Dead is one of Mike Murphy's favorite movies ever.
That line from BOD is one of the best lines in any movie... ever.
And Wayne's World 2 is just as good as the first movie. Some may disagree with that, but I'll stand by it.
Being an owner of both WW and WW2, I would agree, that both are equally as excellent....or ZANG for the educated out there. I believe Wayne said it best when he said..."A gun rack? A gun rack. I don't even own A gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?". We shall ponder these words... HHHMMMMM
Post a Comment