
My mom is an amazing woman. I'm sure I can speak for my sis on this topic... neither Ceen nor I ever have doubted how much Mom loves us. We know that Mom is abounding in love for her kids. She was the best when we were little, and she's the best today. She had some crazy times, like when multiple sclerosis kicked in real hard, she went back to college, she continued to be a full-time mom and wife, she continued to be active in my and my sister's school, she worked part-time jobs on the side, and probably a whole lot more things that I can't think of right now all at the same time. Mom is amazing. She most definitely went above and beyond what was required of her during that season of life. She never complained. She still hasn't. She has every right to complain, and she's allowed to start whenever she wants.
My mom took accordion lessons back in the day. Her parents bought her an accordion to practice on. If I remember correctly, she was still pretty dang good when I was little... POLKA, BABY! Then again, I was a little kid that knew nothing... maybe she was good, maybe I just liked Mom. Regardless, at some point, the accordion stopped being played. Anyone could understand why, if they simply read the paragraph above.
Goofing off one time, I picked it up and learned it. I can play a pretty unimpressive polka. Mostly, though, I've been playing it with Brooke at his acoustic shows for the last 4 years, including on "Somewhere In Between" by Lifehouse last night at Rohs Street. It's a whole lot easier than hauling around a B-3. It's fun. It has been forever immortalized on Andrea Summer's "Lifeblood" album (on "Nola", listen for it).
So, one of the things on my list of things to do is to get better at accordion. Well, now I can check that off my list for the summer, because the accordion is gone. Some random kid (a student of Brooke's at Wyoming HS) was at the show last night, and he was lusting over my accordion. He went on and on about how desperately he wanted to learn how to play. I gave him a quick lesson. He learned quickly. Then he asked if he could borrow it after the show. Needless to say, some kid I don't know is in possession of my squeezebox for the summer.
Spreading polka music, one random looney high school student at a time. Mom must be so proud.
2 comments:
yeah...Mom is amazing. Endless encouragement and a constantly smiling face. Homework help. "Pep talks" in the face of less than wonderful circumstances--all the while typing, mediating, guiding, cooking dinner, ect. Amazing. Our role model mother.
dude that accordion absolutely ruled, you can't get a new one, it's too sweet to replace.
Post a Comment