Sunday, June 25, 2006

Hall Of Fame

Today, Bob Goodridge, my father-in-law, was inducted into the LaRosa's Hall Of Fame. I've posted in the past of his many on-the-field accomplishments. I won't go there again... but think of the best athlete in your high school... yeah, Bob would've schooled him on the football field, on the basketball court, or on the track. His 1962 Wyoming Cowboys went 10-0 with 10 shutouts. He was an All-American wide receiver in 1967 at Vanderbilt... you know, the SEC is a tough football conference. Then he played for the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL. Most of you probably don't know anyone who excelled on the field like he did.

See, I am currently about 5'9" and... umm... let's just say I'm above the Mendoza line. Thus, I am currently excelling at nothing physically except being round. I can kinda hold my own at ping-pong. As recently as last year, I'd compete with any of my peers on a racquetball court. But these days? I get winded carrying The Tobe upstairs.

And my history of sport isn't so good either... I sucked at baseball. I tried out for 3 school basketball teams and was cut all 3 times. I played 2nd doubles in tennis (they didn't cut anyone on the team because only 7 tried out, and that's how many they needed to field a team), and we only won a couple matches all year. I once shot a 66 in a match while playing high school golf (9 holes, not 18).

I'm sure I've said this before... but my father-in-law is one of my favorite people. His athletic resume has nothing to do with my respect for him, except that my respect for him is magnified by his humility regarding his athletic resume. If I was as accomplished as he, I doubt I'd have the same humble attitude.

Today, in his acceptance speech, he concluded by saying that he likes being called 'Dad' and 'Coach'. (I witnessed him sign "Coach Goodridge" when asked for an autograph.) He'd rather be known as a Christian, a dad, a coach, or a teacher than as a pro football player, an All-American, or a state champion.

After the Hall of Fame ceremony, the fam went back to Robyn's parents' house for dinner. I asked him how it felt to be a Hall-of-Famer. He sincerely responded, "I feel the same as I did yesterday." Then he asked if I wanted to play ping-pong. That's just how it works with him.

So, Dad, congrats. You're a Hall-of-Famer, and I don't just mean LaRosa's.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I love hearing about men of integrity like Bob.It gives me warm fuzzies. They're hard to come by these days. I'm so blessed to be married to one. I'm also blessed by you, your ministry and your friendship. You definitley fit in the men of integrity catagory.