And tonight, in the bottom of the 6th inning, the Hall-of-Famer, Marty Brennamen, read on-air an email I sent him this morning. Marty tells Reds-on-Radio listeners that he and fellow broadcaster Steve Stewart can be reached via email during all home games. Anywho, to document this life-changing event:
Subject: Why My Wife Listens to Reds-On-RadioYou may be telling yourself, "Scott must be a loser, like 'Mike in Fairfield'." ('Mike in Fairfield' is a talk-radio whore who does nothing but sit around all day calling every local show that exists.) The first email I ever sent to Jim Rome was about The Pelmet. The only email I ever sent to Marty Brennamen was just read on the air. The only call I've ever made to 700am was to Gary Burbank's show, and I got online and made Gary laugh. The only trivia question I ever tried to answer on Lance McAlister's show, I answered correctly and won Hooter's gift certificates (which remain unused on my fridge). I cannot be denied.
Marty & Steve,
I grew up in the '80s listening to Marty and Joe just about every night with my dad. We would read the box scores in the Enquirer every morning. I listened to the westcoast games while I laid down for bed, as they were too late for a grade school kid to stay up for. I fell in love with baseball at a very young age.
A few years back, I married Robyn (my best friend and high school sweetheart) who, sadly, doesn't share the same love of baseball. Sure, she puts up with my love of the game, she likes the Kiss Cam and the Cheesy Dance Cam and seeing families/kids together on the big screen when we're at the ballpark, but Reds-on-Radio isn't exactly an evening priority for her.
THEN SHE DISCOVERED THE CINCINNATI BELL TRIVIA QUESTION! Now, almost every night, she is excited for the 2nd and 8th innings! I email the question to her from work during day games. Yesterday, we took our 5-month-old son to his first Reds game, and my wife (kiddingly) asked "Where does Marty sit? I need to go ask him what the trivia question is..." It was the 2nd inning, and "Gangster or Gangsta" is a particular favorite.
I will never go to GABP with my wife without my radio again.
Thanks,
Scott
College Hill
I know of 'Mike in Fairfield', but lemme tell you, I'm no 'Mike in Fairfield'.
5 comments:
that's true. you are no mike in fairfield. because A.) You've seen the sun, B.) You have a life, C.) You've had sex, D.) You have a job and clearly he doesn't, E.) Your name isn't Mike and, F.) You don't live in Fairfield. I can't stand that guy. All he does is call in and agree with whatever has been said by the host of the show. What good is that? Why would you call into a show and simply say, "Yes, I agree with you," then rattle off the same points that have been already made, and then hang up? That's pretty much dead air.
Finally, you're batting 1.000 here Scott. Don't get too greedy and start emailing and calling every radio personality in town. Its time to retire and go out on top as My Hero, once again.
Otherwise, you WILL turn into Mike in Fairfield, or even worse, Dave in West Chester who's a #'s geek and can't utter a complete sentence. I hate that guy too.
I only email or call when I'm convinced that what I have to say is worthy of being broadcasted or printed. Unlike my blog, in which I publish more garbage than anyone I know.
I'm kind of a big deal.
Hey Scott:
That's awesome. I know how you feel about listening to Marty Brennaman. When I hear Marty's voice in my car, it adds a sense of normality to my world. Constancy. Marty is a voice that I've been hearing for 31 years! A lot of things change but Marty is a mainstay eh?
Jason called into a sports radio show the other night about Chris Henry. You'll have to ask Jason about it.
Hey Scotty - Just wanted to play "Mike in Fairfield" for a moment. I just wanted to let you know that I agree with you about that "Radio Talk Show Whore". I roll my eyes every time I hear him. He thinks he is the co-host.
Post a Comment