Friday, February 27, 2009

On Newspapers

There was a Cincinnati Enquirer on my front steps this morning. Either a delivery mistake or a desperate attempt at luring me in. While my dad will be a daily subscriber until the fish wrap is no more (and it will be no more, at some point), I haven't bought a newspaper in many years. I'll scan one if it's free and available (at dad's house, at a hotel, sitting by the water cooler at work), but this morning's edition is a fine example of why the printed paper is nothing I'll likely again pay for...

I threw the paper in the car and drove to work. Did my morning routine at the office. Heard that Manny turned down the Dodgers' latest offer and that Albert Haynesworth signed a big deal with the Redskins. Opened up the paper during a brief coffee break and found nothing about Manny or Haynesworth. Why? Because those stories broke this morning. After the paper was printed.

(It did feel good to get a little ink rubbed off on my fingers, and the smell was familiar and friendly, I must confess.)

Top stories on the sports page this morning? UC defeats Huggs, XU wins a road game, Micah Owings impresses in his spring training debut. Those stories interest me, but I don't need to read them. I read about them online last night before going to bed. Now, I actually wanted to read about Manny and Haynesworth, but the paper won't help me there. Too new news for the newspaper.

Hello, ESPN.com, sportingnews.com, si.com, and sports.yahoo.com.

I heard on the radio that the Rocky Mountain News printed its last edition this morning. The Cincinnati Post is no more. Many papers have gone under. Sigh. I loved reading the sports page growing up, but it doesn't do anything for me anymore. I miss the ink on my thumb and the scent of the paper, but it's obsolete to me.

(Postscript: Cin Weekly and CityBeat are different. Their news is good for a week, if not longer.)

No comments: