Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I (heart) The Bear of Little Brain

Toby is addicted to music. There is almost always a CD player belting out songs somewhere in the house. I'm a music guy, and I don't like silence (I have to have background noise on at all times), and I want Toby to love music, and...

It was driving me freaking CRAZY! If I hear that song one more time... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's also addicted to books. He likes books to be read to him, he likes to look at books on his own and pretend that he's reading, and he likes audio books. He has quite a few books on CD, but his favorite time to listen to books is in the car. Even before we had our seatbelts on or keys in the ignition, he was begging us to turn on his tape.

It was driving me freaking CRAZY! If I hear that story one more time... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
____________________________

A funny thing has happened over the past several months, though. As the soundtrack of my life was well on its way to driving me completely insane, I started to -- gasp! -- appreciate the songs and the stories for what they are.

Winnie the Pooh books on audio cassettes... Sesame Street songs on CD... Thomas The Tank Engine books and audio books... Veggie Tales songs on CD... Cars books and the Cars movie... they are so good! They are entertaining, they have good strong moral lessons, they use words that stretch my son's vocabulary...

So, here I am, confessing that I am a 27-year-old lover of children's books/movies/entertainment. My name is Scott, and I love Sir Topham Hatt, Christopher Robbin, and Larry the Cucumber. There. I said it.

("HI, SCOTT!!!!!")

3 comments:

B-Call said...

dude, you're only 27???
i had no idea.
frick, i'm old.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...being in kindergarten I feel the same way. I play the SAME song everyday to get the kids to clean up. If I have to hear, "Hello neighbor, what do you say? It's going to be a happy day!" one more time I might pull my hair out!!

Hope everything is well!

Julie

Anonymous said...

i'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor...